[m] the beginnings of evil
Wow! So this beauty not only called him a friend, but wasn't too upset with him for the little white lie he told. He grinned wolfishly to her, tongue lolling out of his mouth very doggishly, and he held his hand over his heart as if to make a solemn vow. “I'm sorry I lied to you. I promise I will never do it again.” He finished the promise with a firm nod and dropped his hand.

They remained together for a little while longer, passing the hours with chatter much like they had on the pathway when they walked here. He hung on her every word, beginning to enjoy her incessant questions. Hey, he thought, there's not really anything wrong with this chick, she's just young and curious. He was trying to justify his earlier thought about how she was pretty weird – but despite what he told himself he still knew that there was something a little wrong with her. He didn't mind it though, everybody had their quirk.

Far too soon in the evening he saw Juliet's eyes move to the door, noting how dark it had gotten outside. The smile on his muzzle faded and he felt his heart sank. She started moving to the door and he was up and at her side in an instant, lunging across the room and grabbing her wrist. “No!” he said, at first almost sounding angry. His eyes were pleading, and his voice quickly smoothed out again as he said, “I don't want you to go yet. Stay, just a little while longer. Please?” He glanced outside, grasping for a reason. “Look, it's already pretty dark out there. See? It'll seem even darker in the forest. Do you know your way? I'm not even sure if I would. It might even start snowing after the sun is completely down.”

He glanced up, peering out the door and at the sky. Thick clouds overhead did threaten to storm, and blotted out what little sun there was at this hour. He glanced inside to the fire burning in the stove. There was fire here, warmth, and company. She even said that she liked him! They were hitting it off! Why wouldn't she want to stay the night? “I'll walk you back home in the morning.”

((wc 389))

Messages In This Thread