Mamma can make everything better

She was aware that her youngest had wandered off to some part of the house but what she was not aware of was that one of the others had not shut the front door properly and as a result it had blown back open in the chilly breeze allowing the smallest Wolfe-Denahlii child to slip out into the wide world unknown to her overprotective mother. Jace was a busy woman even when she was not actively tending to her duties. At the moment she was quietly removing feathers from the bodies of several fowl she had caught for making into arrows. Both she and Honrin would benefit from these as they both had bows that they used frequently.

She was none the wiser until the girl's scream reached her ears. Reacting without thinking, without hardly seeming to falter or hesitate, Jace dropped the bird and feathers like they had suddenly burned her and sprinted for the front door that she only now realised was ajar. Trickles of fear began to well up inside of her and the door was almost thrown from its hinges as she burst through it. Relief flowed freely as her legs brought her closer to her poor blind daughter, the only mishap to occur was with a rock instead of a dangerous predator.

She scooped the sightless child up into her ashy paws...she was still so small, impossibly tiny... and hugged her close to her. "It's okay Ky Ry, Mama's here." She used the girl's own words for her name, unable to pronounce Victory in full had shortened it to two syllables, Ky Ry. She held the crying girl against her chest and sung the song that all her children had grown up knowing,

'On the wind. 'Cross the sea,
hear this song and remember.
Soon you'll be, home with me,
once upon a December.

Someone holds me safe and warm,
horses prance through a silver storm.
Figures dancing gracefully,
across my memory.

And a song, someone sings.
Once upon a December.

In a knightly visage so did Honrin appear from the rows of snow covered houses, concern for his youngest sister clear across his face. She ceased her song as he approached and greeted him warmly. But he only had eyes for Victory,

Messages In This Thread