A rude awakening
[html]

Hope you don't mind the PP, if you do then say and i'll change it.

Word Count :: +471

The weight of the cougar upon his shield was a burden that Regner was happy to be rid off, his relief coming just before his legs gave out from the strain. In his younger years Regner could have thrown the smaller animal clean across the clearing, now it was all he had been able to do to hold it back for as long as he did.

Regner caught his breath and looked back up just in-time to see the stranger delivering the finishing blow, driving Regner's knife up and under the cougar's ribcage. The animal thrashed all the harder for a brief moment before it drooped forward, falling still.

Despite his gratitude for the help Regner ignored the stranger for now, instead dropping his shield to the floor and rushing over to Adelle. Dropping swiftly into a painful crouch, his joints and scar protesting the movement, he began to stroke the distressed puppy, Adelle whimpering and leaning into his hand as it ran down her spine, Regner punctuating the calming movement with a lick to his granddaughter's ears every now and then. The smell of his blood and the fright of the experience had left Adelle frightened but eventually she calmed down, laying still under his touch and gazing curiously at the stranger, hr usual enthusiasm for new people still present but muted slightly by recent events.

With the puppy calmed somewhat Regner turned his attention to the stranger, his muzzle dropped as he faced the younger wolf but his erect ears marked the gesture as a grateful one, not a sign of submission. "Thank you for the help, it is appreciated. I am Regner" The English words were awkward coming out of his mouth, his Danish accent thick, but the gratitude in them was evident.

Regner cast a regretful glance over the dead cougar. Despite his inability to understand the feline's speech Regner knew full well why the feline had attacked and kept coming even when it was outnumbered. It seemed only fair to tell the other who had taken apart in the fight, "A day ago I came across a cougar nest. The nest was empty but had fresh scent around it and a stock of prey hidden within." Regner had taken the food, feeding Adelle as much as he could make the puppy eat of the bounty. Here Regner's tone shifted, becoming a mix of defiant and defensive, "I am too old and slow to hunt, I will not see Adelle starve because of my shortcomings. I will do what I must to keep her safe and fed." Regner hadn't actually introduced Adelle yet, but it should be fairly obvious who he was talking about. Regner was regretful that the cougar had died, but at the same time did not regret either taking the food nor his part in killing the animal, valuing Adelle's life far above that of a feline he had never met.

<style>
.Regner { background-image:url(http://i937.photobucket.com/albums/ad21 ... Regner.png); background-repeat:no-repeat; background-position:top center; background-color:#000000; width:90%px; max-width: 640px; margin:0px auto; text-align: left; padding:405px 0px 0px 0px; color:#; font-family:georgia, serif; font-size:12px; line-height:18px; border:1px soli #000000}
.Regner b {color:#770e0e; }
.Regner p { color:#b99320; text-indent:40px; padding:5px 15px; margin:0px; }
.Regner p.ooc { font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size:11px; }
.Regner .wc {color:#b99320; letter-spacing:0px; text-align:right; padding:0px 5px; margin:0px 15px 15px 15px;font-size:11px; font-weight:bold; border-top:1px dotted #b99320;}
.Regner .ooc {color:#b99320; letter-spacing:0px; text-align:left; padding:0px 0px; margin:0px 0px 0px 0px;font-size:11px; font-weight:bold;}
p.template-credit {text-indent:0px; text-align:center; font-size:10px; font-style:italic; width:500px; text-align:center; margin:0px auto;}
</style>
[/html]

Messages In This Thread