drifting and melting
He asked a question of her, and she laughed. It wasn't a cruel laugh, it wasn't a laugh mocking his lack of knowledge, it was a laugh that recognized that not everyone understood the vagaries of herbalists. "Sort of. I mean I do, but for specific reasons. Many things in nature have a use. For example, the lavender I used to dry is a lovely scent, but it helps to relieve tension when you smell it as well. Willow bark can be chewed as a pain reliever. Ginger root relieves an upset stomach. Yarrow root is an astringent, a substance that help draw infection from a wound. Garlic keeps ticks and fleas away from us. Lemon grass is a sweet flavoring, but it also helps with coughing." She smiled, shrugging. "My adopted father, Taliesin, taught me some of that, and I learned the rest as I got older and read more."

As he asked if someone like him could become like her, her brow furrowed. The frown eased into a smile as she realized what he meant. "Can a non-shifter become a luperci, you mean? Yes. I used to not be luperci, until after Thanos and I were together. He made love to me, and it changed me to a luperci. And massive exchange of blood or bodily fluid would change a regular wolf into a luperci. And just because you become luperci doesn't mean you change who you are inside. You would still be the sweet and kind Augustus the pack knows." She paused, feeling flushed for a moment. "I mean, I assume that's why your asking, right? Forgive me if I'm presuming too much."

She watched him for a moment, hoping she hadn't upset him by assuming as she had. The last thing the older woman wanted was to offend a younger pack mate. She began talking again, almost rambling, but not quite. "The best thing I have found about having been turned to luperci is the extension of the natural life span. We luperci live longer lives that the normal wolf. I know eight seems old, but I'm only half done with my life, even though it seems like I should be at the end of my years." She paused for a moment, then spoke again. "And thumbs-" she held up a paw to demonstrate the lack thereof in the lupus form, "Are a wonderful and versatile thing for a healer like myself." Her tail wagged behind her as she lapsed into silence again.

((WC:417))

Messages In This Thread