Bulletproof Moments
She knew the cabin he meant - and the wolf. Their paths had never crossed yet, even while Anann lived within the court, as the two creatures operated in very different spheres. Much as Caspa and Alder's worlds were so close but worlds apart, at least until now. Her anxiety around horses saw to that. She observed Hawthorn with unreadable eyes as Alder finished telling her about his home, adding that the cat liked the cabin too, which made her smile. Of course animals had thoughts and feelings just as the canines did: Caspa would never dispute that. She merely found the idea of a prey animal's subserviency to a predator alarming and surely not something to be trusted. But perhaps in time she could get used to the massive hoofed creatures, and learn they bore no grudge to their canine riders. "I know the cabin and I remember Anann, she nodded, "She was often in the training grounds, but her scent has faded now. I am there sometimes throwing knives at the targets." The unspoken addition was: alone. Always alone.

"A year for me, too. Last winter I was journeying in the heavy snow… I don't intend to repeat that adventure. And, this is a good pack," she answered with her precise manner. Now she knew he was certainly one of the loyal ones and not a passer-by, Caspa felt even more inclined to attempt to get to know this soft-spoken man better. She had nothing against the drifters, she liked the transient aura they gave to their little society. But she was never too interested in building a deep bond with those who might be prone to leave at any moment. She really didn't have many friends, and perhaps that was the reason. She was too loyal, and others too easily bored. Terra had sworn her loyalty with such ferocity that Caspa had instantly warmed to her, or perhaps that was simply down to the coy-wolf's fire-and-ice temperament so different to hers. Then there were the leaders and their families, whose responsibilities made them reliable. Other than that, nobody.

"What brought you to the court, Alder?" she wondered then. He seemed to have friends all over these lands - a horse from Aniwaya, a cabin from the Cavalieri pack… but he had chosen the Court as his home. She couldn't help but wonder why.

Messages In This Thread