Never Grow Up
[html]

Word Count → 364 :: Out of Character text.

They were being watched the whole time they selected their cards, and when they finally returned to their seats, Sophie fidgeted, worrying she'd done it wrong. In the end Boothe leaned on her so heavily that she ended up half-crushed beneath him, which stopped her twitching but also prevented her from seeing Macarius gather up their cards and begin to read the fortune. She managed to wiggle out from under her brother, shooting him a pouting look that made him grin, before they both crept forward to look at the cards laid out before them, their ears flicking hesitantly as they waited for the verdict.

When the words were spoken, it was not the old man, but the golden wolf, and Boothe looked up at her, an outraged look on his face as he realized other people could do this trick, too, and not just really old people. Sophie managed to shut him up before he said anything stupid, though, as she piped up almost immediately after the stranger spoke. "Really? What're we gonna get?" She wondered, and heard more quiet laughter, making her ears flatten again uncertainly. Was she not supposed to ask that? It'd been the first thing that popped into her mind, and she'd wanted to make sure Boothe didn't make an donkey of himself--or the more useful version of that, although Gunnar had told them that you shouldn't use that one "around adults who cared", so Sophie made sure not to even think it where she might get in trouble--and it was all she could come up with.

It didn't work, as Boothe proudly proclaimed a moment later, "I don't care what it is! It's mine, you don't get any!" And the two siblings looked at each other, before Sophie wrinkled her nose and looked away, sticking her chin in the air. "I'ma tell Leon you said that." She decided, and though it didn't bring instant contrition the way it would have if things had been the other way around, the thought of Boothe getting in trouble for being mean--again--cheered Sophie up sufficiently that she didn't care that he'd been mean in the first place.

<style type="text/css">
.sophly .space {float:right; width:115px; height:260px;}
.sophly b {font-weight:bold; color:#ebf3f5; letter-spacing:1px; text-shadow:#352b37 1px 1px 2px;}
.sophly p.ooc {font-size: 11px; text-align:left; padding:0px 30px;}
.sophly p.ooc + p {padding:0px 5px;}
.sophly .wc {text-transform: uppercase; font-weight:bold; color:#ebf3f5; text-shadow:#352b37 1px 1px 2px;}
.sophly p {text-indent:25px; padding:5px 20px; margin:0px;}
.sophly {width:485px; margin:0 auto; background-color:#a19fc4; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/DujCo.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #000000; padding:200px 0px 5px 0px; font-family: georgia, sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#352b37; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px;}
</style>[/html]

Messages In This Thread