ice kept getting thinner
[html]

Word Count → 638

New Dawn.

Vesper smiled lightly at the name as she let it roll around her mind. It was a name full of promise that she found herself hoping the wolf pack would fulfill. The fact that there was a growing population of wolves in the region, especially in the north, might have troubled her at any other time, but she was happy for the noble dark-furred male in front of her. He deserved to lead a pack; the healthy percentage wolf blood buried within her could recognize his dominance and prowess.

His smile calmed her nerves, but she lowered her blue eyes anyway. She felt like a child defending her actions against her parent, if her actions were having different blood than the rest of the civilized world. It was almost funny; she’d been looked down upon for walking on four legs, and now that she was a part of the luperci world, she was spat upon for her parentage. However, it was obvious that Zalen was not like the others in this regard, other than his obvious distrust for the coyote clan. She didn’t expect him to be a raging heathen, anyway, after he’d proven himself to be more decent a wolf than most she had met before.

It was still a relief when he spoke, and the tawny coywolf nodded quickly. She wouldn’t give up her ties to her clan for the black alpha’s sake, but she would do all in her power to keep the peace between them. She’d seen too much of violence these past few months.

A smirk quirked the side of her mouth when he admitted sheepishly to frightening Myrika, and she shook her head at him. “You’d best be careful, Big Bad Wolf. Can’t have you scaring all the pretty girls.” Her tail wagged in the snow behind her even as her smirk transformed into a friendlier half-grin. She was sure anyone in Inferni could handle themselves against him, but it was still amusing.

The green-eyed man asked about Sequoia then, and the mirth disappeared from Vesper’s scarred face in an instant. Cornflower blue eyes became frosty and large ears tilted back against her angular skull. “Her true name is Tayui,” she corrected, trying to keep the bitterness from her tone; after all, everyone had secrets, and she had hidden her own identity for the sake of her pack. “And it—well, to start off with, I recognized almost no one who’d gathered, other than…Tayui and that Ichikan. The rest were strangers, many who didn’t seem the type to fight for our cause; if anything, they were sinners and troublemakers.” She shrugged her shoulders, though the gesture was somewhat violent. She disagreed with the attitude of the brats who’d shown up, but if they were all there to accomplish the same actions, the intention didn’t matter.

And then finally, the rest of her frustration poured out, her hackles rising and her teeth shining behind dark lips. “We failed. I barely managed to make it out alive. I don’t know what happened to most of the others, to be honest. All I remember was being led in, and trying to save an elderly slave…” Her voice trailed away as she thought of the old and near-senile coyote woman she’d tried to goad into following her. “One of the Salsolans struck her down. They would rather kill their own slaves then lose them to freedom.” Her narrow muzzle wrinkled with disgust. “It was a failure. And I’m not sure what else to do at this point, other than focus on my own responsibilities. I wouldn’t feel too guilty about focusing on what you could help rather than joining us.” Her tone softened at last, and her ears turned toward his new territory—but still, she was quaking slightly with fury at the defeat.

<style type="text/css">
.vestper b {font-weight:bold; color:#697d87; letter-spacing:1px; text-shadow:#bab1b5 1px 1px 2px;}
.vestper t {font-style:italic; color:#697d87; letter-spacing:1px; text-shadow:#bab1b5 1px 1px 2px;}
.vestper p.ooc {font-size: 11px; text-align:left; padding:0px 30px;}
.vestper p.ooc + p {padding:0px 5px;}
.vestper .wc {text-transform: uppercase; font-weight:bold; color:#697d87; text-shadow:#bab1b5 1px 1px 2px;}
.vestper p {text-indent:25px; padding:5px 20px; margin:0px;}
.vestper {width:500px; margin:0 auto; background-color:#b9c0c2; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/hZRG5.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #000000; padding:370px 0px 4px 0px; font-family: georgia, sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#6e7073; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>
[/html]

Messages In This Thread