the simplest treasures
[html]

Vesper is obnoxious! +3

The bony shape of the androgynous wolf recoiled slightly at her words, and Vesper could not tell whether it was due to her mistake or that he had only just recognized her. When his smoky blue-grey eyes narrowed at her, however, she flicked her tail behind her dismissively. Had she not been so concerned by his condition, she might have gone so far as to shrug. Genetics had chosen for him to look pretty, just as she looked rugged and boyish, especially in her other forms.

The thought gave her pause unexpectedly, and her nostrils flared again. Light cornflower eyes widened as she realized that he was non-luperci, untouched, pure. The realization shifted things in his favor even more; while she might not have cared much for a random luperci staggering through the forest, she did care about preserving the non-luperci. Once she had wanted to prove her worth as one of them, but since that fateful day in these woods, all she could do was assist those that were no longer her kin.

She continued to come closer, maintaining just enough distance so that he couldn’t whirl around and bite her—as if he’d be able to, in his weak condition. A raspy sound came from his mouth then, perhaps a protest. Regardless, she only shook her head and reached out to nudge his protruding hip sharply before dancing back to that same distance.

“I will hunt something for you,” Vesper said firmly. “I won’t force it down your throat, now, so whether you want to eat or die is up to you.” She smirked faintly, even as she stepped cockily away from him. “If you die, your damn loss, and the world is minus one moron.”

Oh, she could laugh at her hypocrisy. Arrogance was her true name, and more than once she had almost thrown away her life for pride. In dire situations, she might stoop to accept a token of meat from a kindly soul or even bandaging and shelter, but she’d fought almost to the death several times to preserve her bloated ego.

She was gone for a record amount of time, lucky enough to find a squirrel scuttling along the ground. Snatching it up, she swung it by the tail and struck its head against the ground in lieu of adjusting her grip. It was clumsy, and she had thick fur on her tongue, but she counted her blessings and dragged it back to the pale stranger. If he was indeed still there, he would have the food thrown at him soon enough.

“If I were religious, I’d say a deity was looking out for you,” Vesper drawled once the squirrel hit the ground. “Walked right into my mouth.”

Image courtesy of henrikj@Flickr; table by the Mentors!

<style>
.K22911_v1 .ooc {font-size:10px; font-style:italic;}
.K22911_v1 p {padding:0px 15px 5px 15px; margin:0px; text-indent:25px;}
.K22911_v1 b {font-family:verdana; color:#26292e; margin:5px; font-size:10px; font-weight:bold; letter-spacing:1px;}
.K22911_v1 {background-color:#94938f; font-family: verdana, serif; font-size:12px; color:#606165; line-height:16px; width:500px; text-align:justify; background-image:url(http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb29 ... Vesper.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; padding:284px 0px 10px 0px; border:1px solid #FFFFFF; border-radius:8px; } .K22911_v1-border {width:502px; border:1px solid #000000; margin:0 auto; border-radius:8px;}
p.template-credit {text-indent:0px; text-align:center; font-size:10px; font-style:italic; width:425px; text-align:center; margin:0px auto;}</style>
[/html]

Messages In This Thread