The First Step
[html]<style type="text/css">#grace-02 { width: 450px; background: #25151f url(http://i1050.photobucket.com/albums/s41 ... lebg02.png) bottom center no-repeat; margin: 0px auto; border: 3px solid #fff; outline: 1px solid #000; font: 11px verdana, sans-serif; color: #6c6874; line-height: 13pt; text-align: justify; } #grace-02 #inner { background: transparent url(http://i1050.photobucket.com/albums/s41 ... tbg02b.png) top center repeat; margin: 10px 10px 500px 10px; border: 1px solid #000; } #grace-02 #inner p { margin: 10px; text-indent: 0px; } #grace-02 #inner p.ooc, #grace-02 #inner .speak, #grace-02 #inner a { font: 13px courier new, monospace; color: #7fa198; } #grace-02 #inner .taj { font: 13px courier new, monospace; color: #748d86; } #grace-02 #inner .wotd { color: #748d86; }</style>

Word Count: 426. I think this is pretty close to being over? You can have him skin his own rabbit if you like; I tried to word it loosely.

Grace watched Hadley hunt with interest, her own rabbit still dangling from her mouth. He slipped into the ruck of rabbits easily, and was quick and clean about his kill. Unsurprising for someone of his size, perhaps, but slightly more intriguing for someone with as little confidence as the boy had. She supposed that perhaps this had been a task that he had done for his master, in which case it would be important for him to be sure of his kill, and to act swiftly and accurately. That might allow him the confidence to hunt the way he did, without compromising his perceived integrity as a slave.

Sure enough, he dropped the kill before her. She laughed softly around a mouthful of rabbit and shook her head; she was not his master, and she had no desire to be. "It's yours, Hadley," she told him gently. "Bring it, and we can skin them and eat them." They trudged back to her home, rabbits in tow, and she dropped hers on the front porch, then let herself inside and shifted back into her upright form. She dressed nimbly and rinsed her face in a basin of water; she'd gotten a bit bloody. It wasn't that she wouldn't get bloody again, eating, but more that she'd somehow gotten blood in places it didn't belong, like her forehead. She wasn't a terribly tidy girl as it was, quite absent-minded and a bit disorganized, and hunting was no exception to this trend. Still, because she knew her own weaknesses, she tried to adapt to them, too. For that reason, she did try to remember to clean up after herself.

She grabbed her skinning knife and a bucket of cold water and went out to sit on the porch. She showed Hadley how she skinned the rabbits as she did so; perhaps he would be interested to learn, if he didn't already know. She dropped the pelts in the water to soak he blood-stains out while they ate. As they sat, she said conversationally, "Have you thought about what you're going to do from here? I don't really mind... but my leaders might want to know who you are, at least." Her parents had never taken issue with new additions to the tribe, but they'd preferred to know who was on their territory, for safety's sake. Grace couldn't imagine that Ulilohi, as responsible as she seemed, was any different. Hadley would have to figure his issues out in his own time, but he needed to be considerate of others, too.

[/html]

Messages In This Thread