Before Nonsense
What happened right before the show

Terra had finished setting everything up. All the props were in place, a curtain drawn across. She was ready to begin-except for one small problem. Caspa was nowhere in sight. Worriedly she looked around. How could she do a magic show without her assistance? It would be very much different, Terra having to rewrite everything she would do. Hidden behind the curtain she waited impatiently for her friend to arrive.

Seething, the hound stalked through the festival crowds. Her every attempt to salvage the situation had gone awry. Amy not only survived and would be off-limits for weeks or months to come, but she'd implied she was not alone in her unholy and immoral practices. Caspa could not stand by and allow this to be her reality, but she couldn't know where to begin her investigations. At least she had enough patience to not let it drive her to distraction. Sooner or later the woman and all her kind would have to learn new ways or Caspa would die trying to teach them. Distracted, she found herself going in circles and drove the thoughts from her mind. She could do no more for the present. The clearing was a little way off, and she knew she was already late. The sun was high, perhaps even past noon. The show was due to start within minutes, she realised. There would be no more time for the rehearsal. And she hadn't even given Terra the coat. Caspa broke into a run, cursing herself for not noticing her lateness quicker.

Terra spotted the dog darting through the crowd with relief. As soon as Caspa arrived she broke into argument. "Why are you so late? I don't know how to do the show by myself! And definitely not in front of such a large crowd!" Escaping it would be quite the challenge if they lost their sense of humor.

"Shhh!" Caspa hissed, eyes darting from side to side. It would be just like the Amy woman to follow her and either spy or try to unnerve her still further. She spotted the barrow near the curtains and laid a hand on Terra's arm, motioning towards it. The coat still lay in the bottom covered in a layer of concealing straw, but it would also provide some cover from the milling people. Caspa wasn't sure how many of them would be watching their performance. She herself hadn't told anybody, so whoever knew about the show was down to Terra or word of mouth. Most of these people were probably just passing by on their way to somewhere else and had stopped to look at the billowing backdrop. Caspa wanted to get behind it, out of sight so she could make her apology and explanation to her friend. She wasn't in the habit of lying, and felt she'd hidden enough facts already.

Terra's ears flattened with anger as she was shushed. There was no reason for Caspa to do that to her. She hadn't done anything wrong. Really, she should have been the one that was angry. She followed Caspa over to the wheelbarrow, exasperated. "I already set everything up. What are you up to now Caspa?"

"Please forgive me," came the solemn apology. "It is nothing you've done. I'm sorry I am late." She glanced at the barrow. She had a good surprise for Terra, which hopefully would brighten the mood of the pair. But she wanted to get her dark tale out of the way first. "I was delayed by a dog who I have been searching for. She is a violent criminal and..." Caspa's voice lowered. "She keeps slaves." Her dark eyes bored into Terra's usually lively and cheerful green ones. "Which to me is unforgiveable."

Terra listened to the dog's words, eyes narrowed suspiciously. She didn't know if Caspa would be lying to her or not about this. The words spoken rang with truth though. She wouldn't be ripping apart her friend over that. Terra had a sneaking suspicion that what had happened had something to do with what Caspa had lied about to her before, despite lacking the ability to prove it. Her ears flattened as she was told about a violent canine that Caspa had been searching for. The fact that Caspa had taken on such a task by herself made her even more mad. Terra could have helped Caspa track down this enemy, and delivered the punishment. She still didn't quite understand what a slave was, beyond the grasp that it was supposed to be lower than an omega. She nodded her head at the words of Caspa finding it unforgiveable. "Some things are unforgiveable. Such as doing something dangerous without getting someone to help you." Terra looked at Caspa pointedly.

Messages In This Thread