cut down to size
((Last week was exam week, sorry. Two exams on one day. asdfllkajsdf. I'm assuming Amy wouldn't suddenly attack her while Alma's busy staring/talking to her mother. PM me if I should change it/cut it off somewhere so Amy can do that.))

Her problem had solved itself, it seemed. The dog had found her attempts at defending herself laughable, and so had turned her attention elsewhere. She was too relieved to be insulted. The only problem with this situation was that her opponent had turned her attention to the puppies instead. The coywolf stiffened, holding her breath. Her mind raced, trying to gauge whether she could get up fast enough to stop her should she try to kill them.

Her expression turned to surprise when the dog seemed to be showing them affection. Had she misjudged the situation? Perhaps the puppies were hers, and the coyote had stol- no, wait. Why she placing them beside him? A frown creased Alma's snout. The situation was making her head hurt, and the loss of blood wasn't helping her any. When her assailant turned her attention to her and asked her to leave, her immediate instinct was to voice a stubborn 'no' - despite not knowing what was going on with the situation, she sensed something was very wrong and it didn't feel right just to leave right then. But before she could open her mouth and say this, a familiar voice registered in her mind.

"Alma."

The coyote turned her head in the direction of the voice. The light that was always in the corner of her eyes was gone. In its place stood a wolf with a coat of brown, grays and whites; though the colors were faded from what she had been in life. Alma recognized the wolf immediately as her mother. This rendered her completely speechless. She simply stared at her mother's spirit, not able to form a coherent thought.

"Come back to your clan." The wolf said.

The gears in her head started to turn once again. She opened her mouth to object, but her mother silenced her.

"I can't lose another child. Come home."

Grudgingly, the coyote pulled herself up on to her feet. "Fine."

"Follow me." The wolf turned and retreated into the forest.

She gave her assailant a quick glance to be sure she wasn't going to be attacked, before follwing her mother. "What do you mean by 'lose another child'?" The coyote held her wounded arm while she walked. There was no reply. Unbeknownst to Alma, her mother's spirit had neither the inclination nor energy to show herself to anyone but her yet. Neither could she be heard by anyone but Alma - so very likely, the coyote had made herself look even more foolish, as if she were talking to herself.

Messages In This Thread