End of the Road.[j]
Caspa and Krystalle had their exotic heritage in common and the white hound shot her old acquaintance an understanding and long-suffering kind of look… all the while listening carefully to Mars' request. "Yes, of course," she murmured, although it was never easy to track the vigilant Vigilante down, she was sure she could manage with a specific purpose in mind. "You may run into him before me, though - he will be interested to hear of your return, and pleased." she added. As for his latter question, all she could say was "It has not changed since my arrival. There are Courtiers, Cavaliers and an array of careers within… my friend Terra is a Storyteller." She racked her brains to remember the other co-ranks. "We have a medic in the form of Vigilante's son Liam. Only a tiny puppy when I first joined but he acquitted himself well in the war… There are no teachers, midwives or gardeners, which is unfortunate." Caspa had considered taking all these positions but she could never quite make a final decision. "Strelein is something to do with clothes. Lady in Waiting," she remembered without a hint of amusement. But that might have just been her eternally straight face. "Then, there are those who manage the stables and horses," she went on, "Alder is alone in those tasks, I believe… the King doubles as a blacksmith, although as there is no official canine controlling the armoury he probably does that too. As for hunting and building, two other paths - well, we all share those roles," she explained weakly. There simply weren't enough dedicated canines here for the structure that had been set up: but that wasn't a bad thing, necessarily. The place still worked, and everyone helped each other. Sooner or later, another busy time would come - perhaps when Mars and Krystalle's pups were grown - and maybe then the ranks would swell, but it would never stay at its peaks: with a ramshackle history like theirs, it looked likely the Court would always be an unpredictable environment. Thank goodness for the core members who were loyal and strong, without them it would have fallen long ago.

Messages In This Thread