in the night, i hear 'em talk
[html]

Ha, I almost cried READING it!.

http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/9086/cebtable.jpg);width:400px;height:150px;border:1px solid black;">

The tears began to fall again as Cerberus watched the woman crumble before him, shaking with fury and sputtering with disbelief. He opened his mouth to argue, to defend himself against her accusations, but his words failed to pass his lips. She was right. He should have done something. He should have died instead of her. It didn’t matter in the slightest that he’d nearly lost his sight and hearing in one ear, or that he’d almost been rendered lame like the fragile princess he’d failed to save. He was a failure. He was disappointment. In a sense, he was a murderer.

He snapped back into consciousness only long enough to scramble out of the snarling hybrid’s way, and then he stood in front of her, head lowered and body quivering like a newborn colt. It hurt him even deeper to see how much this woman cared for Blind displayed so permeably on the surface of her patchy fur, to see how greatly it pained her to know her friend was lost; it almost put Ceri’s pain to shame. And he WAS a shame. His parents would be so disappointed. His brother would be so disappointed. Why had he not died so she could live? All he could do now was nod. He agreed with every word she said, because he believed so deeply for it to be true. He had not only failed as friend, but he had failed as a man in general. What kind of mate and father would he be if he couldn’t protect the ones he loved?

It seemed like hours had passed as he stood there, watching the poor she-coy sob and whine before him. After shaking away the dampness of tears on his fur, he took a tentative step forward, and then another until he was finally at the woman’s side. He then lowered his body to the ground, and licked her ears a time or two before draping his neck over hers. You are absolutely right Vesper, he muttered. It should have been me. What I wouldn’t give for it to have been me. But you should know Blind cared for you deeply. Very, very deeply. He flicked his tongue out once more, this time across her neck, and then sat upright in case she decided to lunge at him again. Though he doubted he could dodge a second attack – his leg was already aching from unexpectedly avoiding the first. But he didn’t care. He would readily submit to the punishing teeth and claws of this woman…this woman who he had unintentionally made suffer as much, if not more, than he.

[/html]

Messages In This Thread