in the night, i hear 'em talk
[html]
the coldest story ever told
Word Count :: 473 Wrap-up? <3

A raven’s cry, more of a croak than the distinct caw of the smaller crow, drew her large ears up again. Of course, her winged shadow would never leave her completely alone on this mountain, as vulnerable as she was with this stranger she found herself wholeheartedly trusting. However, annoyance was not her first emotional response to the dark scout’s presence. He was just a bird, an annoying bird, but Stark made her feel safe right now. She lowered her ears again and looked at the male.

He reassured her, and she nodded dully, glad that Blind hadn’t lingered in the world with agony and terror. His remark about a meal caused her brows to pinch together, her face turning sharp and icy, but he corrected himself swiftly, and she closed her eyes.

Maybe I will see you again, Blind. The thought came out of nowhere as her beliefs stirred in her chest and spirit. You will find favor in the great cycle. Your ashes will flame again in a glorious life.

It was rare that such thoughts trailed actively through her mind; reincarnation and her other beliefs were usually tucked away, never acknowledged. They simply existed, as she knew air existed although no one could really see it. She didn’t think about air as she breathed it in. But when it was fading from her convulsing chest, when she was gasping desperately for breath, needing that reassurance, it came. And she needed the reassurance of her beliefs in that moment.

Soft fur brushed hers, and Vesper opened her pale blue eyes again. She did not pull away from the touch, not until he settled down closer to the earth and began to ask how he could help.

Bring her back, leap into the twilight between life and death and snatch her, at least tell her what I think of her.

Aloud, she said, “Nothing.” And then silence dropped after he talked about them being friends. Her gaze flitted across his scars, the facial structure that just spoke of coyote, of kin, while he was very wolf. She trusted him, and he was kind, and there was just enough life in him that spoke of mischief, of something she could connect with. She considered him quietly.

“Perhaps,” the coywolf murmured vaguely. She looked across the mountains, south toward home. “But right now… Right now I don’t think I want to see you again for a long time.” She rose stiffly, her slender and scarred limbs quivering. The raven flapped down and landed on her shoulders, and somehow the added burden of the bird gave her strength. But she did not acknowledge Stark in the least.

“Tell me your name.” Vesper looked at him with a sad, soft smile. “I’ll try to remember it when I’ve healed and we see each other again.”

somewhere far along this road, she lost her soul.

Image courtesy of ChainBound

<style>
.GR2_Vesper p {padding:0px 15px 5px 15px; margin:0px; text-indent:25px;}
.GR2_Vesper b {font-family:verdana; color:#424242; font-size:11px; font-weight:bold;}
.GR2_Vesper b.npc { color:#dadada; }
.GR2_Vesper t {font-family:verdana; color:#424242; font-size:11px; font-style:italic;}
.GR2_Vesper {background-color:#828282; font-family:verdana; font-size:11px; color:#000000; line-height:15px; width:500px; text-align:justify; background-image:url(http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/7265/ves1.jpg); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; padding:120px 0px 0px 0px; border:0px solid #0000000; margin:0 auto; -webkit-border-top-left-radius: 18px; -webkit-border-top-right-radius: 18px; -moz-border-radius-topleft: 18px; -moz-border-radius-topright: 18px; border-top-left-radius: 18px; border-top-right-radius: 18px; box-shadow:2px 2px 3px #1d1d1d; -moz-box-shadow:2px 2px 3px #1d1d1d; -webkit-box-shadow:2px 2px 3px #1d1d1d;}
.GR2_Vesper .inner {margin:0 10px; background-image:url(http://img857.imageshack.us/img857/4346/21bn0ba.png); border-radius:10px; border:2px solid #000000; }
.GR2_Vesper .bottom { color:#dadada; text-align:right; font-family:Glegoo; font-size:14px; text-shadow:#000000 1px 1px 1px; line-height:20px; background-image:url(http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/1259/ves3.png); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; padding:0px 15px 220px 15px; }
.GR2_Vesper .top { color:#dadada; text-align:right; font-family:Glegoo; font-size:14px; text-shadow:#000000 1px 1px 1px; padding:0px 15px; line-height:20px;}
.GR2_Vesper .name {text-align:Left; font-family:Meddon; font-size:60px; text-shadow:#000000 1px 1px 1px; padding:0px 15px 0px 15px; line-height:12px;}
.GR2_Vesper .ooc {text-align:right; font-family:verdana; color:#000000; font-size:9px; border-bottom:2px dotted #000000; padding:0px 15px 0px 15px;}
p.template-credit {text-indent:0px; text-align:center; font-size:10px; font-style:italic; width:425px; text-align:center; margin:0px auto;}
</style>
[/html]

Messages In This Thread