Of Bulls and Bears
[html]

OOC: So sorry for the wait, I had one heck of a crazy work schedule. I'm off the rest of the week, now. || Word Count →1006

The tundra wolf lay dreaming, his body wrapped protectively about the smaller golden hued figure of his mate. He took in each breath, inhaling the earth and sea smell that had become a part of them both. In the dream he was with Ciara, alone. He was telling her of his past: the death of the brother whom he‘d held so dear, his father’s tyrannical rule, and his banishment from his pack. He did so in comfort, as she listened intently without bias or interruption. He poured out his heart and soul without fear to her, and when he had finished she showered him in licks and nuzzles. It all felt so right, until the Alpha’s call arose sharp and clear, scattering the images of his dream. He did not awaken immediately, not until he felt his mate’s nose at his shoulder, urging him to rise. He gave a low rumbling growl as predicted and his body began to stir. The fog dissipated as his yellow eyes opened to his mate’s expectant face. As he looked into her eyes he knew, it had all been a dream. He turned his face away a moment and sighed softly to himself. If only he could be that confident, and tell her for real. He followed her outside the den, matching pace as they responded to the call. It was mere minutes before their silhouettes, sable and silver rose up to meet them. He flattened his ears and lowered his tail to half-mast before greeting them each with a leisurely wag of his tail and nuzzle to the chin.

Months before Zalen’s two-legged form would have unnerved the man, but he’d grown accustomed to seeing him towering above them all, it was his right as Alpha, and he did not begrudge him for it. If Augustus found himself tainted by the virus and in a position of great power he would have done the same. He grew unsettled only when his Alpha’s body contorted and shrunk to it’s natural four-legged stature. His paws shifted and stirred. He turned and glanced behind him to rid him of what he thought a gruesome sight. He used the opportunity to bury his nose in his mate’s scruff, whining sweetly just for her. When he removed himself he licked her muzzle once, his eyes apologetic. The dream was still fresh in his mind, and he so longed for it to be true, she was suffering, he could see it, and he felt ashamed.

He seated himself when the others had gathered, ears perked to hear his Alpha’s words. He nodded shortly as they praised his union with Ciara. "Thank you, Alpha, Alphess. I will protect and cherish her always, as I have my pack." His words were short, his voice its usual deep rumble, but his words were sincere. He turned his green-flecked gaze to his mate, meeting her eyes for a brief moment before he sat erect as they continued to speak.

They spoke of Blind and Cerberus, causing the male to bristle but slightly. He blamed the Omega for her untimely death. The shaggy coy wolf was not an Epsilon to take upon himself such a task, and that he’s taken her beyond their borders had been an even graver mistake. What had he been thinking? Or, alternatively, what had she been thinking? It frustrated him endlessly that she had not seen fit to ask him to accompany her. He she done so, they would have both returned that day itself, alive. But she had not, and her body was lost to the earth. His gaze drifted downwards as he contemplated her death, but he was glad in a way that she was gone. He had Ciara now, and though he had cared for Blind he did not think she could handle the darkness in his heart.

The Alpha’s spoke of the bear in question and his thoughts were put to rest. He stood up, body puffing with pride, his eyes turned to his mate and back to his Alpha’s. When Titania approached them he bowed his head and whined softly in thanks for her support of them. “We will not let you down,” he said stoicly as she retreated back to Zalen’s side. His brows began to furrow and he turned his body to face his mate, as he debated their best course of action. It was she who spoke first and he was both surprised and in awe of her as she spoke with wisdom and authority. His mate never ceased to amaze the scarred male and he smiled wanly to hear her speak. When she was finished he nodded once, I will lead one group, we shall take to the forest, Ciara will lead the other through the swamps. The first group to encounter the bear will call to the others, and wait for the rest to join them before giving chase. We will drive the beast westward beyond the borders, and return only when we are certain that it will not be coming back. Use only what force is needed." He paused a moment to glance over his charges. "I want no heroics from anyone, you heard our Alpha, we must avoid bloodshed if we can." He flicked his tail, and glanced back at his mate. "Wolves and bears have lived among each other since the beginning of time. We learned to live in harmony with them, bestowing upon each other a sense of mutual respect. Today we will uphold that sacred tradition. This creature has taken from us, yes.” His eyes dropped to the earth a moment before he addressed them anew. “But a confrontation would only result in the loss of more lives, this must not happen.” He paused, looking them all over, before adding. “Will not happen. Do I make myself clear?” He sought the faces of his brothers and sisters once again, before seating himself next to his mate, his flank brushing against hers as he awaited the responses of his pack.

<style>
.ND-Aug1ooc {font-style:italic; color:#000000;}
.ND-Aug1 p {padding:0px 20px 5px 20px; margin:0px; text-indent:35px;}
.ND-Aug1 b {color:#FEF380; text-shadow: 0.0em 0.0em 0.2em #BF8F30; letter-spacing:1px;}
.ND-Aug1 {font-family: tahoma, arial, sans-serif; font-size:11px; color:#FFFFFF; letter-spacing:.2px; word-spacing:.3px; line-height:15px; text-align: justify; margin:0px auto; margin:5px auto; width:514px;}
.ND-Aug1inner{background-color:#290F36; background-image:url(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v434/ ... awn2-1.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; padding:250px 0px 10px 0px; border:1px solid #261E0E; width:514px; border-radius:10px; -moz-border-radius:10px; -webkit-border-radius:10px; margin:0 auto;}
.ND-Aug1Imagecred {font-style:italic; color:#000000;}
</style>

Image credit to freelancah at deviantart

[/html]

Messages In This Thread