spring brings out the birds
[html]

Alma had no idea she was making the bird uncomfortable, since she was unable to read his body language. She did notice the scar over his eye, but it didn't occur to her that he might want be wary because of it, or to ask how he had gotten it. She assumed it was from some other owl - surely birds fought with one another as canines did?

Her eyes strayed from the owls as the birdkeeper spoke of how she hatched the egg, and the types of meat adult birds might eat. Alma had to wonder how large a bird would have to be hunt and eat a raccoon or a cat, and came to the conclusion that such a creature would probably have to be an eagle; precisely the sort of bird she had wanted when she had the idea of attack-birds, but it left her with another thought. If a bird was that big and ate that much, would she be able to hunt enough to feed it? How often did those things eat, anyway? She pondered this while the other coyote tried to recall a time when she was unable to communicate with birds.

The words a bird to practice with entered Alma's ears, and suddenly she was no longer thinking about how much food it would take to feed a bird of that size, but how to acquire one. "How do I get one?" she asked. She almost hoped it wasn't an egg; she was afraid of another failure. Still, if it was, she'd be willing to try again.

<style type="text/css">
hr { height:0px; width:100%; margin: 0px 150px 0px 150px auto; }
.runningdeertablerun {width:500px; border:none; margin:0px auto;}
.runningdeertableooc {font-family: times; font-size:12px; letter-spacing:.3px;}
.runningdeertable {font-family: Arial; font-size:13px; text-indent:30px; letter-spacing:.2px; word-spacing:2px; line-height:14px; width:510px; text-align:left; background-image:url(http://i.minus.com/i5hncsG1U87xk.png); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; padding:1px 0px 160px 0px;}
</style>
[/html]

Messages In This Thread