Are We Ready?
She looked at him like he was made of glass, he groused to himself. And yet when she asked if he was okay, he felt a wave of love for her. He nodded quietly, not quite trusting his voice, not trusting himself not to warn her about the shadows. The butterflies rustled softly, warning him of the danger she would be in if the vision came to pass. He leaned his face into her hand, pressing his hand to hers gently. The warmth of her touch was reassuring, and the butterflies receded for the time being.

As she spoke, he felt his throat tighten. A mixture of joy and fear filled him. She was pregnant, carrying their pups. His gaze fell to her not yet rounded belly, the hand not holding hers drifting up to touch it, as if he could discern the tiny lives inside of her by touch alone. He splayed his hand over her belly, possessive and protective. He had imagined this in one way or another since they had first met, and now it was true. She was to be the mother of their pups.

His voice was soft at this miracle in their lives. "I never actually thought it would happen, kiddo. I mean, I knew it would, but... now that its happened..." Was he ready for this? Was he ready to protect their offspring from the shadows as well as his mate? Was he ready to be a father? He took her hands, kissing them gently, and holding them, his usually inscrutable gaze full of conflicting emotions.

Messages In This Thread