what we do is secret
[html]

In general, she approached the world with wariness and suspicion. Everyone had motives of one sort or another, kept hidden beneath their careful facades, even if sometimes they did not realize. Frequently, these motives were innocuous enough, a want of more information as there was always more to be bad, but sometimes there were further layers to uncover. Sometimes what the individual believed to be perfectly innocuous was not quite so. Cassandra was perceptive. There were many emotions radiating out from the brown, wolfish man, mostly of a negative sort; she could not pick them all out, but their volume meant she didn't really need to.

The stranger was spooked; maybe not by her, specifically, but in general. He was out in the middle of the night, expecting for there to be trouble. Her caution was warranted, if there were other things in the dark.

"Oh?" she said. "Why might that be? These are not claimed lands." The pallid woman cocked her head slightly and continued. "This is south, for me, but I'm a stranger here, clearly." There was no mocking in her tone. She was only pointing out what they both surely knew. Like him, her words came bluntly, plainly, unmarred by pretense. She had motivations, like anyone else, but they were simple enough: avoid fights, when possible; avoid calling attention to herself, when possible; learn as much as she could about everything. There were other things, but those were the ones that persisted. "I needn't have business to come."

Cassandra broke her steady gaze a moment to look back out into the trees, then turned back to the other hybrid. "Was there someone else you were expecting to find?" she asked slowly.

[/html]

Messages In This Thread