i want nothing between us
[html]

Word Count :: 460 Others welcome still. :o

Natural wariness served Vesper well as a scout for her clan, and her present concerns only augmented her vigilance. Even before the bird let out a low croak as warning, she could smell the freshly-caught fish and the strong musk of an adult pack wolf heading toward them. Her small body grew taut, but she did not betray her nerves other than a watchful stare in the direction of the bushes as the wolf stepped out.

When the silver and cinnamon New Dawner made his way postured and bristling to the border, the Centurion remembered lupine etiquette and tucked her ear quickly against her slender skull, her muzzle dipping momentarily to show deference to the borders and her position as a stranger if nothing else. She did not completely lower herself as a more devout outsider might, as she was unused to extreme shows and still ranked above this stranger; she was a subleader, while he didn’t carry the dominant scent that Zalen had.

What scents he did carry made her raise her scarred brow with interest, but then the fish dropped to the ground, and he asked a much unexpected question of her.

“I’m—” Vesper paused, not sure how to answer. He was a non-luperci (a difference she learned to smell as a former one herself), but he shouldn’t be confused about that due to her lupus form, and the fact that he lived with other luperci if Zalen was anything to go by.

Then, foolishly, she remembered her species and the whole reason her clan had been targeted. While fully anticipating some to resent her for her hybridization, she hadn’t had someone truly confused about what she was, only how mixed she was. Trying not to smirk, she flicked her coal-tipped tail and answered in a level tone.

“My father was a wolf. My mother was a coyote—which are smaller and more often loners, but not too much different.” Others failed to see that, leaning instead toward the stereotype of tricksters and scavengers rather than letting the physical evidence tell the story. “So I’m a hybrid, half and half.”

That hopefully out of the way, she stood slowly—her movements careful so she didn’t appear to be a threat—and sniffed the air. She’d thought she’d smelled it, but it was unmistakable now. Her blue eyes widened, and her tail wagged low and uncertain behind her. “Does… Does Kiara live here now? You smell like her.”

Vesper blinked then shook her head quickly, remembering herself and the order she should be addressing facts rather than blurting out questions about her friend. “My name is Vesper, and I’m a leader in Inferni, the hybrid clan south of here. I wanted to talk to someone of New Dawn.”

the coldest story ever told

Image courtesy of ChainBound

<style>
.GR2_Vesper p {padding:0px 15px 5px 15px; margin:0px; text-indent:25px;}
.GR2_Vesper b {font-family:verdana; color:#dadada; font-size:11px; font-weight:bold;}
.GR2_Vesper b.npc { color:#424242; }
.GR2_Vesper {background-color:#828282; font-family:verdana; font-size:11px; color:#000000; line-height:15px; width:500px; text-align:justify; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/K21mL.jpg); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; padding:120px 0px 0px 0px; border:0px solid #0000000; margin:0 auto; -webkit-border-top-left-radius: 18px; -webkit-border-top-right-radius: 18px; -moz-border-radius-topleft: 18px; -moz-border-radius-topright: 18px; border-top-left-radius: 18px; border-top-right-radius: 18px; box-shadow:2px 2px 3px #1d1d1d; -moz-box-shadow:2px 2px 3px #1d1d1d; -webkit-box-shadow:2px 2px 3px #1d1d1d;}
.GR2_Vesper .inner {margin:0 10px; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/LkO0W.png); border-radius:10px; border:2px solid #000000; }
.GR2_Vesper .bottom { color:#dadada; text-align:right; font-family:Glegoo; font-size:14px; text-shadow:#000000 1px 1px 1px; line-height:20px; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/ZnlBo.png); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; padding:0px 15px 220px 15px; }
.GR2_Vesper .name {text-align:Left; font-family:Meddon; font-size:60px; text-shadow:#000000 1px 1px 1px; padding:0px 15px 0px 15px; line-height:51px;}
.GR2_Vesper .ooc {text-align:right; font-family:verdana; color:#000000; font-size:9px; border-bottom:2px dotted #000000; padding:0px 15px 0px 15px;}
p.template-credit {text-indent:0px; text-align:center; font-size:10px; font-style:italic; width:425px; text-align:center; margin:0px auto;}
</style>
[/html]

Messages In This Thread