A Day of Solace
[html]

And now I am back from vacation! Should wrap this up, so we can have a new one? Big Grin

Word Count → 573

Now that he thought about it, Hati had not eaten many birds in his young life. He was inexperienced in hunting by himself, since he lived with his parents and they made sure to feed him regular meals. Wild fowl took more effort to capture than rabbits or even deer, so they rarely found their way onto the Haskel-Catori dinner table. He therefore had no inkling to what would drive a wolf to try and kill a creature as majestic as Marahute; it seemed like a needless waste of energy on the hunter's part, as well as a shame to harm an intelligent companion animal. It occurred to him then that wolves could also hunt horses, and the thought was abhorrent to him. Even though he had no qualms about eating their cloven hooved cousins, deer, the idea of a horse being brought down by arrows or fangs made him nauseated. He would rather starve than resort to murder. "That shouldn't be a preference, it's wrong to eat someone's friend," Hati muttered, frowning. Hopefully the mated pair with the arrows had learned their lesson.

Hati's dark ears flicked at the faint sound of feathers rustling. He watched in awe as Niro knowingly equipped his leather glove, preparing for his eagle's approach. A shadow was cast against the bright light, the mighty bird's wingspan eclipsing the sun. With an almost lazy grace, the gleaming talons settled to grasp their leather perch, her full weight settling onto her wolf partner's arm. Hati took several paces back, intimidated by the intensity in her raptor eyes. There was a fierce beauty in her sweeping curves, the rich shades of burnished gold and burnt sienna that made up her glossy feathers. He wanted to stroke her feathers, or greet her somehow, but he did not know the protocol for birds -- that hooked beak was like a dagger, long and sharp and right at eye level. Instinctively he knew not to stare into her eyes for long, and he ducked his head shyly, studying the eagle from his safe distance. "...Bonjour, Marahute, it is a pleasure to meet you," he called softly, uncertain if she would understand his intentions. "Niro, she's beautiful..." he exhaled.

Niro garrulously continued, pleasantly chatting about his adult children. Hati vaguely remembered the name Maggie, as someone that had been talked about a lot during the AniWaya Conflict. He was a very young pup at the time, born during the war and carrying only hazy memories of what actually went on during it. All he could piece together was that whoever Maggie was, her involvement in the conflict had been a catalyst for his own father going to war. He was told she was a relative of his, but he was unsure how; she was not a niece like Tasha, but rather a cousin, if he recalled correctly. He would have asked Niro, but it seemed tactless to ask about a woman other than his mate -- just as he had not asked about Amaranth and Kable's father, someone other than Vigilante. "I'm sorry your father doesn't like falconry. It's such an impressive talent, I hope Tasha and Heiro appreciate it as they get older." He knew all too well what it felt like to be the odd one in the family, even though his family tried their best to be supportive of Hati. Niro had so much confidence, though, unlike his reserved brother-in-law.

<style>
.haticai1 {background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/2QMTC.png); background-repeat:no-repeat; background-position:top center; background-color:#af9479; width:520px; margin:0px auto; text-align: justify; padding:210px 0px 5px 0px; color:#4e4032; font-family:georgia, serif; font-size:11px; line-height:16px; border:1px solid #858484;}
.haticai1 b {color:#e0c9b1; text-shadow:#272011 1px 1px 2px; letter-spacing:1px;}
.haticai1 p { text-indent:0px; padding:5px 15px; margin:0px; }
.haticai1 p.ooc {font-style:italic;}
.haticai1 .wordcount {letter-spacing:0px;font-weight:bold; border-top:1px dotted #846e3e; text-align:right; padding:0px 5px; text-transform:uppercase; margin:0px 15px 15px 15px;}

</style>
Table by Cait!
[/html]

EDIT: I still have your last post, you can repost it! =)
Quote:Word Count :: 405
OOC: it was foxglove that was being talked about but it's ok lol he could probalby just get them all mixed up in names and yes we can get this finished fairly soon for a new and less crusty thread! Smile

“The thing is... not everyone has a bird companion. Many wolves think it rediculous to have any kind of companion. At first I was shocked to see that horses lived here, I’ve gotten used to it, but I know many frown upon such things. I believe the man did not know she was not a companion and I do not fault them for that.” Though he could think of many things he COULD try to fault them for but for Hati’s sake he would be best to try to stay as neutral as he could.
When Marahute came down, he puffed his own chest out like a proud father, which he was. Even if they were two entirely different species, he was Marahute’s father. So seeing the fascinated look on Hati’s face made him fill with more pride, he knew that Marahute was usually calm with others and he moved her towards the young man, though making sure it was slow and he stopped a good distance in case he really didn’t want to touch her; “Go ahead, you can touch her, just her head though, they are vain animals so all the compliments you can give her will get you closer to her. SHe can understand you, so don’t be afraid to put in the biggest comments you can.” He said with a big grin. It was very true the bird was quite vain, and she even moved her head towards Hati, already pleased by him stating she was beautiful.
Niro could only shrugged at Hati’s comment; “My father would be proud of what I became not matter what, I’m sure about that, he may disapprove, but he is a wolf of the old days so I do not blame him.” Niro said, his smile grew even more as the boy spoke of Heiro and Tasha learning to appreciate it. He nodded in agreement. The thought of at least one of his children taking up his own line of work was a dream come true but never a requirement, he would teach them if they were willing, Jiva knew, but was not as interested. Maggie just picked up on it, perhaps it was just a natural talent or something, and the other two, they were in love with the birds but still so young he wasn’t pushing anything on any of them and never would.

Messages In This Thread