[M] I threw us into the flames
[html]

I regret nothing.

The pressure around his arm tightened. Ezekiel was glad for it. He was glad for the pain. He wanted the pain. He wanted someone to be angry with him. Hell, he was angry at himself. A deep and terrible part of his psyche heard everything that went unsaid and threw it back at him. Lucifer was doubt, after all, and the devil was a part of all of them for this reason. His arm began to tremble because it wasn’t enough and it would never be enough. Punishment suited deserters and traitors and the faithless, and Ezekiel, whose blood was thick with the lines of Inferni, was a man turning his back on his own legacy.

Both of his arms were pulled taunt and Ezekiel gave into the motion, letting them go limp. He stared into the eyes of the wood-colored king, seeing himself, seeing everything he was not, and a deep and terrible resentment twisted in his gut. It was unfair. Sirius had succeeded where he had not. He had done what Ezekiel could not, would not do, and some part of him saw this as a defeat.

Then came the demand. Ezekiel’s jaw dropped at the words, and his eyes widened in the dark. Dumbstruck, he simply stared into Sirius’ eyes and saw that there was no lie. His hands began to tremble. “I can’t,” he said, half-whispered. “I can’t,” he repeated, louder, his voice raw.

<style>
#zeke-raven {
font-family:'times new roman', times, serif;
font-size:14px;
width:95%;
margin:0px auto;
line-height:18px;
}
#zeke-raven p {
text-indent:50px;
padding:0;
margin:10px 0;
}
#zeke-raven p.zeke-img {
text-align:center;
text-indent:0;
font-size:11px;
font-style:italic;
float:right; margin:5px;
}
#zeke-raven .txtooc {
text-align:left;
font-size:12px;
font-family:georgia, serif;
text-transform:none;
font-style:italic;
font-weight:normal; }
#zeke-raven .txtooc .word { font-weight:bold; font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-style:normal;}
#zeke-raven b { letter-spacing:-.5px; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size: 12px; }
#zeke-raven u { text-decoration: none; border-bottom:1px dotted #000000; }
#zeke-raven b.npc { letter-spacing:.5px; font-style:italic; font-weight:normal; }
</style>[/html]

Messages In This Thread