vtla atsilvquodi
[html]

Writing out the events of Unatsi's past to get a better feel for him.

War drums and battle cries, howls and snarls of aggression and pain. The shouts battered his ears and pummeled his stomach, and the tempo of the drum he'd once been in control of marked his overly-fast heartbeat. The spinning darkness served to make him feel nauseous, and he doubled over, gagging, his last meal splattering on the ground. His whiskers wrinkled back in disgust, but he was flooded with regret, too -- his last meal, maybe his last meal forever, sitting in the dirt while the Tribe and intruders waged battle around him.

Ayastigi!

The hoarse shout made Unatsikanogeni whirl around, his hands lifted and his claws unsheathed. The firelight flickered over the other, illuminating ghostly eyes -- bobbing red orbs coming ever closer. But the Cherokee title was proof that they were friend, not foe, and the red wolf swallowed a whimper as the older luperci all but crashed into him.

Adiya, the Tribe wolf snarled, and Unatsi flattened himself to the ground, his tail tucked between his legs as he looked desperately out at the fighting. Adasdelvdi diniyotli, came the last order, protect them, the tsosdidanuwi are taking them.

Blood dripped on his shoulders, and the Ayastigi struggled to get free of his Tribemate, who'd fallen unconscious -- or worse, but he didn’t want to think about that. His stomach heaved again, but only some water and drool came from his jaws this time. He wiped at his mouth with the back of his snowy-white arm, his namesake limb, and lifted his head. Whatever night vision he'd had as an advantage was stolen the instant he glanced toward the Great Fire, and then everything was fuzzy, but he staggered onward the best he could.

I am an Ayastigi, Unatsikanogeni chanted under his breath. I serve to protect the Tribe, to protect them like I needed to protect Uleyvsv. He broke into a run, leaning forward slightly, his tail waving behind him for balance when he turned and came upon the other warriors, the ones equal to and above him in rank. Orders were exchanged, threats shouted in Cherokee and English, the roar and shriek of the spirit guides joined to their warriors flooding the night air. The howl of the Katakanehi sounded above all else, but his hearing was reduced to the pulse of blood in his ears and the choked sound as he swallowed raw bile.

A wolf rose in his vision, and he lifted his head to speak to them -- then claws in his face, the force of the swipe enough to send him careening toward the ground. He landed and scrabbled in the dust, his vision swimming. He crawled on hands and knees away from the foe when the grey wolf pressed the attack, half his vision still blurry. He finally rolled over, but it was to expose his white stomach, his breath rattling from his chest as he stared in terror at the stranger. The pain and the blood originating near his eye reminded him of Uleyvsv, how the loner had shaken the burnt-red puppy. A ramble had smacked Unatsi in the face as he'd fled for his life, but this pain was so much more than the scrape of a thorn.

I -- I -- I give in, the Ayastigi babbled, I'm finished, really, don't --

A clawed kick to his ribs made him grunt and roll over, back onto all fours. He quickly scrambled back to his feet and ran, behind the huts, avoiding the fighting, his ears pressed so flat in his mane that he almost couldn't hear his Tribesmates' cries. He fled toward safety, because he didn't want to die like Uleyvsv, he didn't want to die, he wasn't going to stick around and let it happen.

Unatsikanogeni was never cut out to be a hero.

Lineart by ~Xinsha; colored by me!

<style>
.unaRun {font-family:georgia, serif; font-size: 12px; letter-spacing:0px; word-spacing:2px; text-align: justify; margin:0px auto; width:85%;}
.unaRun p {text-indent:50px; padding:0; margin:10px 0;}
.unaRun p.image {text-align:center; margin:3px; text-indent:0; font-size:10px; font-style:italic;}
.unaRun .txtooc {text-align:left; font-size:12px; font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif; text-transform:none; font-style:italic; font-weight:normal;}
.unaRun .word {font-weight:bold; font-style:normal; letter-spacing:1.5px;}
.unaRun b:before { content: open-quote; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size: 15px; }
.unaRun b:after { content: close-quote; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size: 15px; }
.unaRun b.npc { letter-spacing:.5px; font-style:italic; font-weight:normal; }
.unaRun u { text-decoration: underline; }
</style>[/html]

Messages In This Thread