Filling Pain
((Sure can Smile ))

He nodded as she spoke. "That's the herbs I made the tea with, they dull the pain and help fight infection." He gently lifted her foot again, drying it off as he spoke again. "We're just about done here, I just want to be sure the pus is fully drained before I rub some salve into it and bandage it." The wound was still raw and red, but the swelling had seemed to ease slightly. With a finger, he pressed first outside of the infection zone, then pushed in, as if pressing toothpaste up through a tube. No pus came, so he squeezed the wound again, testing it. Clean blood trickled from the agitated wound, but there were no traces of pus.

He nodded to himself as he reached up, glad he hadn't needed to use any other tools to drain the infection. He pulled a soft leather bag to him and opened it, scooping out a dollop of the pungent salve inside. Even he couldn't resist wrinkling his nose at the scent of it. He rubbed the dollop of salve over the wound, making sure he got some inside of the wound as well. He wiped his fingers on a clean area of the towel, reaching for the bandages and gently wrapping her foot. He pushed his chair forward, lifting her foot to the chair.

"Keep it elevated whenever you are sitting. I know it's hard, but try and stay off it as much as possible." As he spoke, he was gathering some supplies and placing them in a smaller canvas bag. "This is willow bark, boil it into a tea if your pain becomes too uncomfortable. Don't over do it though, and while you are using it try not to get any other cuts. If you feel it's too bitter, add some cinnamon, which will sweeten it and help fight any infection that might remain. This salve needs to be rubbed into the wound twice a day until the wound has healed over. At least once a day you need to leave the wound open to air, the best time is between cleaning it when you are ready to settle in for the night. Take care not to get the bandages wet or overly dirty, or you'll need to change them again. If you notice that the wound is getting red and hot again, come back to me and I'll look at it again." He slid the bag of supplies, which included clean bandages and a smaller pouch of the pungent salve, along with willow bark and cinnamon sticks, across the table.

He smiled at her. "Any questions, Eclipse?"

Messages In This Thread