NEWS -- Recent downtime, data loss, etc.
QUOTE (Sura @ Aug 6 2012, 01:24 PM)

First of all, switching to a private server will not eliminate the concerns you have. If you did this, your new private server would be just as vulnerable to hacker/DOS attacks , and it would have the same probability of hardware failure. It's true that your probability of being hacked will be lower as you'd be the only site on the server, but if it happens, the damage will either be the same, or worse.

Secondly, $540 is a huge, huge, huge chunk of money, especially for a website and wiki. Souls is large and old, yes, but you'd have so much unused space and resources that it would be silly to pay that much to use so little. $540 is what someone would pay to host an online MMORPG with a hundred users online at any time.

I understand how you feel. However, if you still feel threatened, you have another, perhaps better option than paying all that money : automatic backups. I believe that in your hosting cPanel, you have the option to make automatic backups yourself. Monthly backups are sufficient for any normal site. If you feel threatened, consider weekly backups. If you feel paranoid and extremely, extremely threatened, every day or twice a week backups. [/quote]
There have been a few instances in the past where "abuse" by other clients on the server lead to various problems, though none as serious as what just happened. In these cases, it seemed most of the causes were internal, with other clients loading bad crap onto the server themselves rather than external forces. It's true that a private server would not solve issues relating to hacking, DDOS, and hardware failure.

And, I am very sorry to report that after some extensive back-and-forth with the host, it seems that the initial explanation of neighborly abuse was incorrect. It was disk failure, and despite redundancies setup server-side to maintain multiple copies of data, it seems that our database was partially corrupted in the process, resulting in the lost data. So for this particular incident, moving to a private server would not help.

Back in the day, we raised $300+ on at least two occasions to fund Ezboard Gold, which was even more extravagant and outrageous, so I know $540/year is not an impossible amount. However, in light of the disk failure revelation, I don't know that it'd be worth it. Those of you that have already donated -- thank you, so much, seriously, you are all fantastic -- but it looks like we'll probably not be pursuing that route for the time being. If any of you would like a full or partial refund of your donation, please PM the 'Souls Assemblage or email admin@soulsrpg. <3

For now, I will try to set up automated daily backups because seriously, 'Souls probably sees 100+ IC posts a day on a good day. That is probably 35k+ words/day lost if this happens again, so we'll err on the side of paranoia. I would recommend always, always, always saving local copies of your posts and threads as well.

Thanks everyone for being so understanding. <3

Messages In This Thread