frail
[html]
WC: 398 | The end... ;n;

Hati dipped the linen into the clean water and gently daubed it on Ayita's face, delicately cleaning the cuts and abrasions there. He watched with a sick look in his pale eyes as the cloth was stained pink and then red, the crusted blood dissolving into the water. Hati did not like blood. The sight made him queasy, and he knew then the work of a healer was not for him; he was too empathetic when it came to pain, particularly that of his family... of his mother. But he was staunchly loyal to her, and it was his duty to help her get better. She would get better, even if he had to do this every day.

"It's okay, I... I'm happy to help you, to be of use to you. I... won't leave you," he whispered. She was home now, and she was safe from danger, and everyone in the pack would help her recuperate. Her mangled leg would heal, and she would walk again, and ride her horse, and mother all the little ones in the pack. Her wayward sons would visit, and her most loyal brood would remain at home with her, keeping her spirits up and fulfilling her every wish. Hati found himself humming quietly, a soft lullaby as he worked. He wasn't sure if he was trying to comfort her or himself.

At the mention of Asagi, the wolfdog smiled faintly -- she was a good mare, a steady horse. "I'll look after her while you're getting better... I'll make sure she gets exercise until you can ride her again. I've been training hard at the stables under Alder... I might be a stablehand soon. I thought you might like to know that." He swallowed the nervous lump in his throat, bowing his head as he busied his hands. He hadn't really told anyone other than Skoll so far, but he might have found his path. He hoped Ayita would be proud of him... if not now, then someday.

Eventually the dressings were complete. He sat with his mother for a long time. He did not move to leave her until Amaranth's arrival, when the medic could set the broken bones and fix whatever clumsy mistakes Hati had made in his first attempt. She was going to be alright... wasn't she?

She had to. It wouldn't be a home without his mother.

-fade to black-

<style type="text/css">
.hati001 b {font-weight:bold; color:#5b7c93; letter-spacing:1px; text-shadow: 0.1em 0.1em 0.2em #; }
.hati001 p {text-indent:25px; padding:5px 15px; margin:0px;}
.hati001 {margin:0 auto; width:500px; background-color:#ffffff; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/bPhjJ.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #4d4b4d; padding: 265px 0px 5px 0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#474747; letter-spacing:.3px; word-spacing:.8px; line-height:12.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>
Table by Alli!
[/html]

Messages In This Thread