Publicize the leader handbook?
I'm on the fence about the leader handbook being published, but I completely disagree that the staff ones should be -- mainly because most of that information probably isn't relevant (or at least a lot less relevant than the leader handbook's information). It would be nice to know how certain procedures are carrying out, such as different decision-making, but that could probably be a different topic the staff can give besides the actual handbook. I don't really see the advantages of a normal member reading staff handbooks, anyway, besides the understanding/trust thing, which can be addressed in other ways (such as asking). Here is another thing -- just about anyone can become a leader, while moderators and administrators are hand-picked by the 'SA.

One concern from a leader's side is that members will try to police leaders, whether claiming that they aren't doing their job right or trying to overstep boundaries because they don't believe leaders have any authority. I know that the latter usually indicates a trouble member, though, and the former could be useful if there actually are leadership problems. I dunno. >>

I really would like to see aspiring leaders read the handbook so they're better prepared when it comes to formulating packs, especially because I've seen a lot of flimsy pack concepts and those who have little idea what it takes to be a leader. It would discourage those who couldn't actually run their packs well, and it would be a great resource for those members who aspire to run a pack of their own (or even help run one they belong to now) someday.

I guess I'm a bit less on the fence, now, since I don't really see why publishing the leader's handbook would hurt besides members making trouble for their leaders, which I trust the 'SA would promptly deal with.

Messages In This Thread