every step that you take is a gamble with death
[html]

+405

The tricolor coydog flashed Vesper a big grin when the stocky woman bowed to her, but Vesper’s expression discouraged him from making a comment. It might have seemed like a joke to him, the male who even dared to playfully boss the Centurion around, but Ves knew that such a gesture coming from Willam was probably completely serious. It made her uncomfortable, only because she remembered the tyranny she’d seen in the little coyote gang as a yearling. Others had deferred to Oliver, and she did not want to be thought of as like Oliver.

Willam’s remark about hunting made Vesper smile and nod. “It’s nice to see that you have taken the initiative,” she praised, her words more formal than she was used to speaking. There were sadly few proper hunting parties in Inferni, mostly because the coyotes scarcely needed large kills to sustain them; most hunted rabbits or mice on their own time. Occasionally a couple would team up to kill a smaller whitetail or a similar creature, and Vesper always found those endeavors kind of fun, even if hunting as a pack was supposedly more “wolfish.” It suited the hybrids to have various hunting styles, though.

“That’s fine,” she said when Willam mentioned not knowing the other’s ranks. “Technically my rank isn’t in the scouting tier, but I consider myself a part of it.” She jerked her muzzle toward the border collie mix. “And that’s Asher; he’s only a Tirones, but he’s in the same tier.” She was considering how to say more when Willam went on, and she waited until the young woman had finished before shaking her head and grinning.

“Actually, I have an idea—since we’re both Lumen coyotes, more or less, we could accompany you on a hunt? I know where one herd of deer likes to browse at the edge of the moors, so perhaps we could take one of them down. That way you can accomplish what you wanted—with help.”

Vesper flicked the coal tip of her tail across Asher’s snout to keep him from commenting, although the young hybrid seemed content to just stand and study Willlam and her horse curiously. Ves was looking forward to a hunt, however, as a way to exercise and do something different than she normally did. It might also allow her to get to know the enigmatic newcomer as well; seeing her in action would definitely be interesting.

<style type="text/css">
.vespstalk b {font-weight:bold; color:#ab4a19; letter-spacing:1px;}
.vespstalk t {font-style:italic; color:#ab4a19; letter-spacing:1px;}
.vespstalk .ooc { font-style:italic; padding:5px 10px; font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:11px;}
.vespstalk p {text-indent:25px; padding:5px 10px; margin:0px;}
.vespstalk {margin:0px auto; width:475px; background-color:#f1f3f2; background-image:url(http://i55.tinypic.com/6fnz0w.png); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #000000; padding: 10px 0px 200px 0px; font-family: garamond, sans-serif; font-size:15px; color:#7d7e7d; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>[/html]

Messages In This Thread