every step that you take is a gamble with death
[html]

I'm really sorry for taking so long on this! +440

Group hunting was something that Vesper had rarely tried, only because she found it hard to balance the skills and assets of other canines and trust them to do their part, especially after relying on herself for half her life. It was simplest with only one other—like the time she’d brought down a deer with Max—but she knew that it would be a lesson for her to adjust to even more individuals. She was the Centurion, and she needed to get used to commanding the clan and giving out orders much like she might on a hunt. So, in a twisted and philosophical way, this would be a test for her.

Meanwhile, Willam seemed eager to do her part for the clan and to please the leadership, and Asher seemed excited to do anything at all with anyone. She envied their simple motives.

The stocky coyote explained her usual position then requested a place be found for the horse; Ves glanced dubiously at the herbivore. Willam was quick to go on, describing the contraption attached to the animal and her intention with the kill. Nodding, Vesper considered this. “We’ll find a place for him—and I don’t really mind if you call others. I can’t predict how many coyotes will show up, of course, and how much food there will be for everyone.” She knew that many liked to take their meals alone, and that one whitetail probably wouldn’t feed the entire clan even if they did all gather. Swishing her tail, she added, “I don’t mind calling others as long as you’re calling them as a fellow member—like, inviting them to come to the meal, and not demanding them. But I’m sure you knew that.” She flashed the woman a grin. “I’m sure they’ll be glad to have a hunter helping provide for them anyway.”

Some of the doubt on the subleader’s face vanished when Willam mentioned that the horse didn’t follow when she was on four legs. Vesper still wasn’t comfortable around the large beasts, and the thought of one trailing after them while they hunted troubled her. She nodded again—she’d been doing that a lot lately—and stepped back. “Well, the area isn’t too far away. Once we’re there and we’ve found a spot for him”—she pointed her nose at Châtiment—“then you can shift and we’ll figure out a more in depth plan.” She wagged her tail once then gave the border collie mix a shove with her head to get his attention; he jumped then grinned, following her lead as she headed toward the more populated area of the moorland.

<style type="text/css">
.vespstalk b {font-weight:bold; color:#ab4a19; letter-spacing:1px;}
.vespstalk t {font-style:italic; color:#ab4a19; letter-spacing:1px;}
.vespstalk .ooc { font-style:italic; padding:5px 10px; font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:11px;}
.vespstalk p {text-indent:25px; padding:5px 10px; margin:0px;}
.vespstalk {margin:0px auto; width:475px; background-color:#f1f3f2; background-image:url(http://i55.tinypic.com/6fnz0w.png); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #000000; padding: 10px 0px 200px 0px; font-family: garamond, sans-serif; font-size:15px; color:#7d7e7d; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>[/html]

Messages In This Thread