every step that you take is a gamble with death
[html]

+332

“I admire your work ethic,” Vesper replied when the aspiring huntswoman pointed out that she’d be fine with getting more. She managed to keep any sarcasm out of her tone, which was a difficult shift when she was going from verbally and affectionately insulting Asher to addressing the more serious clan member. She hoped Willam would accept the praise, anyway.

“Ask me again when we’ve caught the first one,” she answered with a short laugh at the thought of going out for more deer. She didn’t know if the joke would translate, though, so she explained: “If we haven’t managed to scare off the rest of the group, and if I’m not all bumped and bruised, then I’d be glad for another hunt; it isn’t every day I get to do something like this.” She paused. “Maybe those who’ve eaten from the first kill would offer to hunt for their fellow clansmates afterward?” If they didn’t gorge themselves too much to run, of course.

It seemed that everything was in order, so Vesper began to lope in the direction of the gathering of deer, Asher trotting a doggish pace beside her and Willam bringing up the rear with the horse. It was strange to have the big creature plodding along, and more than once Ves had the urge to dart off in a different direction for stealth’s sake, but she didn’t think the whitetails would be too spooked by the sight of another herbivore.

They finally came to the edge of the moorland; a few stunted trees provided cover a few yards away from the forest proper, and this is where the Centurion halted before looking at Willam. “You know your horse more than I do; would this be a good place for him to stay? If so, you can shift.” Phrasing the last order as a suggestion, she took a seat and politely looked away. Even after almost a year of being luperci, seeing others change form still freaked her out.

<style type="text/css">
.vespstalk b {font-weight:bold; color:#ab4a19; letter-spacing:1px;}
.vespstalk t {font-style:italic; color:#ab4a19; letter-spacing:1px;}
.vespstalk .ooc { font-style:italic; padding:5px 10px; font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:11px;}
.vespstalk p {text-indent:25px; padding:5px 10px; margin:0px;}
.vespstalk {margin:0px auto; width:475px; background-color:#f1f3f2; background-image:url(http://i55.tinypic.com/6fnz0w.png); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #000000; padding: 10px 0px 200px 0px; font-family: garamond, sans-serif; font-size:15px; color:#7d7e7d; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>[/html]

Messages In This Thread