but i assure you my debts are real
[html]

(543)

Ithiel is by me!

Ithiel endured his grandmother. He did not feel the devotion some in his family felt to the old matriarch, but he understood her value and meaning to Inferni and respected her as his truest ancestor. Therefore, he was obligated to protect her in whatever ways possible -- including tolerating her, where she grew uppity or overbearing. Though she was but an Evocati, she had been one of the first Infernians, and this being almost a decade ago, she must command some amount of respect, despite their disparity of rank.

To Io, the dusky-furred hybrid nodded, memorizing her words -- or, the jist of them, anyway -- so he might deliver them to Myrika. I am sure Myrika will be thankful for your apology and gifts both, but she will probably say it's unnecessary. Ithiel would still encourage her to send a scout southward, despite all: it was worthwhile checking in with Jacinto and this young blood of their family now and again. And perhaps his cousin would do more than check in -- she had already sent a gift to many of the packs, and it was likely she'd send more in return for this.

Although Ithiel had not liked the idea of these gifts, he could now see their purpose. There were no nomothetic decrees establishing the return of gifts, of course, but already Casa di Cavalieri had reciprocated Inferni's offerings. While he loathed the idea of an alliance with any of the packs, there was sense in neutrality and even friendliness, if it kept Inferni from attack and in good standing with their neighbors. The pale tip of his tail flickered, and he considered silently while the old woman coddled the baby, clutching him and cooing with all the motherly love she might do for her own child.

Aha, the old woman said, crowing as she looked toward Io. A child of AniWayan leader and Inferni royal blood both? Jacinto picked his mistake -- this word was spoken with derision, as if Kaena loathed to ever call an act which created more Lykoi a mistake -- quite well. There was a smile on the old woman's face, though it was difficult to tell through the one eye and the scars, though it fell steadily as Io described the fall of Dawali. Dawali was a good man, she said forcefully, both her ears pricked upward with indignation. The scarred, half-eaten one was lower, of course, but the expression was unmistakable. You and yours do his pack right, she said, though it was not an admonishment, but an earnest wish. Her gravelly, low tones might make this hard to discern, however. Her manner was usually brusque, and now was no different.

Ithiel shifted his weight on both feet and glanced toward Io, trying to gauge whether she was offended. It was his grandmother's custom to speak frankly, but he did not wish to cause the AniWayan any offense. Forgive my grandmother, he said, hastily. She speaks her mind and none can persuade her to do otherwise, he said, now growing himself slightly more placating than he had been at first. I will help you offload whatever you've brought for us, and thank you for your trouble, he said, dipping his head.

<style>
@import url('http://sleepyglow.net/rp/post.css');
</style>[/html]

Messages In This Thread