but i assure you my debts are real
[html]

(688) oh god tl;dr why can't i do this during sosu :|

Ithiel is by me!

At least the woman had the good sense to admit the error in her ways. Women were the temptresses, and it was their duty to reign in their natural inclination to seduce and tempt men. Most of which, Ithiel thought, were incapable of controlling their own desires. Ithiel and his ilk were rare exceptions, though apparently, even he was not immune to the natural male predilections. The dusky coyote, however, only nodded his approval, keeping these words, too, to send to Myrika. Perhaps he would soon make his way southward and down into the region occupied by these wolves, returning their gifts with more of Inferni's own. If so, the dust-colored hybrid would be able to deliver Myrika's precise words where AniWaya and Jacinto were concerned. As it was, he was aware only that the red-haired Aquila had consented to Jacinto's defection to the southerly pack, along with his eventual return. Ithiel found this foolish, but he would not speak so here and in front of Io, just as he hadn't said so in front of Kaena and Halo's children.

Ithiel surveyed the gifts, extending his hands to take what he could. The elk's skull was set upon the ground, for he'd need to have Kaena carry something in order for him to take it on. These are good gifts, he commented, meaning such genuinely. Ithiel did not offer compliments without meaning them, as he considered it a lie and flattery when not truly meant. The elk's skull will decorate our borders. I will see to it myself. He could not know of Io's past membership with his pack, but her respect of their traditions elevated her in his view. It was, after all, his own homeland where the skulls had originated from. Ithiel would tolerate no ill spoken of them, and it was relieving to find one so accepting.

Kaena nodded in response to the red and white AniWayan, scratching gently at the fur between the puppy's eyes. Ithiel was reminded of Sepirah by his dark fur and red-splashed nose, and wondered that his family might contain so many colors. Kaena herself was monochrome in coloration, possessing only the russet splash seen in so many of his cousins and other relatives, and even the young Kuba. Ithiel remained silent, however, through the discussion of Dawali: he did not know the man's name and knew little else about the southerly pack. He pondered his grandmother's knowledge of them, and realized it must have been from years past. She had led Inferni, once upon a time, after all -- she ought to know leaders long since dethroned in the other packs. It bothered Ithiel to think of so much history and memory occupied by that history. He could barely remember those who raised him after Jezebel's death, nor the names of his training commanders. Only the most obvious names remained in his mind: Gabriel, Jezebel, Aemon, Kastra. Even Kastra was fading; her absence from the clan strange to Ithiel. She'd ordered no directive, however, and he thought it best to remain within the clan's ranks. He'd sworn an oath and could not break it to chase after his once-commander.

Maybe they just thought he got too old? the hybrid suggested, looking up from Kuba with her sharp golden-yellow eye. That was what happened to me. Too old, they said, she said, grunting with annoyance at the thought. I could still lead, if I was given the chance. Won't take my grandkids' place, though -- it's their turn, now, and I am a done woman, she said, surprisingly cheery for the morbidness of the subject. It is right to allow the strength of youth their turn, after all. Ithiel shifted his feet and did not respond. There was no yearning in him for leadership whatsoever -- his mind made this a lost venture. He nodded and even gave Io a faint smile, feeling there was nothing to do save let the women coo over the child and discuss old histories.

<style>
@import url('http://sleepyglow.net/rp/post.css');
</style>[/html]

Messages In This Thread