in a safe place.
[html]

ooc.
I apologize for the wait!

ic.

During his weeks of travel, it was interesting to note the different reactions to his presence. Most revealing was the response he got whenever a stranger became aware of his former position. Throughout his youth, Dahmer had always been treated differently because of what he was. Yes, different – but he was also greatly respected. There was no negative stigma when it came to the Assassins of Jasper Valley. They were considered heroes. Dedicated warriors who put their lives in danger for the good of the pack – they never questioned it, they were born for it. But the further the male got from his former home, the darker his legacy appeared to be tinted. It was confusing, to say the least. He was well aware that many had reasons to fear assassins – of course. Their job was simply to kill. But wasn't that what a warrior did as well? As far as Dahmer knew, the only differences between a warrior and an assassin were special training and secrecy. It baffled him exceedingly. But as confused as these reactions made him, the massive male remained respectful. If he was asked to leave, he did so immediately without starting trouble.

So when Hadley reacted immediately to his honest words, Dahmer braced himself. There was silent for a few seconds, and then a howl ripped through the air. His ears shot forward in surprised and the male took an involuntary step back. Was he supposed to leave now? He understood now that not every one revered assassins. In fact, it was quite the opposite. And he'd dealt with hostility, but it had never become physical, Dahmer made sure of that. He was good at judging situations – and before anything deteriorated too badly, the male would apologize and take his leave. But this right here – he hadn't even been given a chance to react. One moment the greeter was asking him questions, and the next he was calling for back up! The male's eyes were wide with disbelief. He was still in a submissive pose and had begun to pull out of it when he heard another voice. Damn it! He cursed inwardly. They must have been close to begin with. He'd been so focused on the unpredictable one's movements that he hadn't even given a thought of anyone else arriving immediately. Oh, how his trainer would have made him pay for that.

Unwilling to start anything, Dahmer was about to turn to go when the newcomer arrived on scene. When he saw her though, all the fight went out of him. He noticed several things at once. She had some sort of connection with his initial greeter – the look of concern she'd shot at him initially suggested this, and it was confirmed when she passed the child to him. That was the second thing Dahmer noticed – the sight which had taken the fight from him. He loved children. Everything they stood for – a freedom he'd never thought he was capable of having, tenderness and a bright future. Seeing youth forced his thoughts down avenues full of pain, yearning and regret. But he was never bitter about it. As soon as the massive male's eyes rested on the young one, the cool blue depths softened immediately, his lips curving up with the hint of a smile. The behemoth pulled his gaze away quickly, aware that no one would appreciate a suspicious stranger ogling their child.

The last thing Dahmer noticed was the way the new stranger carried herself. She was much calmer and certainly more sure of herself in this situation. Of course, he had no idea she used to be an assassin as well, but his keen eyes were still able to appreciate the grace with which she carried herself. He felt himself able to relax marginally. He didn't have to worry about unpredictability here – she didn't seem nervous at all. When she spoke, he gave his head an answering bow – both as a greeting and a motion deferring to her dominance. He was about to respond when another presence made itself known. This was new to Dahmer – when he patrolled his clan's borders there was never an incident in which more than one other wolf was summoned to assist. Then again, their pack was never open to newcomers – all potential joinees were sent directly to the main pack in Jasper Valley. And thanks to the secrecy involved in their existence, no enemies were ever able to find the place. Strangers only arrived by stumbling upon the area as a result of luck. This was an entirely different situation, though. He would have to adapt to the changes and land on his feet as he always did.

The male's head bowed once again, deeper than before. He was immediately able to tell that the newest stranger was someone important. Head of the guard, trusted Advisor or even the alpha male himself. The way the large male carried himself left no doubt. He was on two legs, so Dahmer wasn't able to judge whether or not they'd be the same size. Not that it mattered, anyway. Another introduction was called for. Good morning, sir. My name is Thaddeus Dahmer, but almost everyone calls me Dahmer. I heard about these lands a long time ago from a distant family member. I'd like to start over with a new life, and I was hoping to be able to do it here.

He wasn't positive whether or not Jazper had heard Isa's question, but the male felt it only polite to answer her. I have no interest in returning to my past position – but I am a highly trained warrior. Should it ever be needed though. I specialize his scouting, stealth and attack strategy. I've had some training in the medical field and while I enjoy it, my true interest lies in carpentry. He fell silent for a moment, gaze flickering to Hadley. I realize I have sinister past and I make no effort to hide or deny it. I also don't regret it – those I hunted were killers of children and the defenceless. Had they been allowed to live, the tragedies they would have caused would be great indeed. That being said, I grew tired of the life I was living. He couldn't stop his gaze from landing hungrily on the young pup in Hadley's arms. It wasn't a suspicious look by any means, merely devastating in its yearning. Dahmer's tone turned wistful. I realized that in order to have the life I wanted, I would have to go. A deep sigh here, and a slight hitch to his words. Even if it meant leaving the ones I loved behind. I need a future. He looked up at Isa for a moment before respectfully lowering his gaze once again.

[/html]

Messages In This Thread