what looks so strong, so delicate
[html]

ahh house map!! 8D coli doesn't need a map, her house is one room with no furniture. x3
WC: 648

lost into the weight of gravity

"Oh, you're having dinner? I, I'm sorry for the bad timing," Coli mumbled, shuffling her feet awkwardly. Not only was she interrupting them, but now she was freeloading their hard-earned rations. She couldn't deny her hunger, though, and it could be rude if she tried to back out now. "I've never had duck before," she added meekly, ears falling back against her mane. "How did you manage to catch them?" Ezra didn't seem the sort to hunt with arrows the way her niece Eclipse did, but it was difficult to catch birds in general without some sort of tool. Catching prey had become quite challenging for her, and she was welcome to suggestions now that she could not shift.

Ezra vanished around the corner, and Coli moved to the simple wooden table, placing the cloak and the wine bottle down. She dug her claw into the bottle's cork and pulled it free with some effort, exposing the aged alcohol to fresh air for the first time since it was sealed away. She wondered if Eli would be allowed to have some; she had to keep reminding herself that he was older than he looked, with his small stature and playful attitude. He did have an adult rank in the pack, just like Temeraire who was now living alone, so she should expect him to have all the same privileges. Still, there were some topics she wasn't sure she should voice with Eli in the room -- did he even know where babies came from? Her hand strayed to the foreign bulge in her stomach, trying to imagine herself as part of a loving family like this one, instead of the third wheel she was now.

The Rosen patriarch returned with the waterfowl in tow, ushering her to take a seat on the makeshift furniture. Hesitantly, Coli sat in the middle, sinking into the pile of blankets and cushions. It was indeed comfortable, and she breathed a sigh of relief to be off her feet. The weight she had gained thus far made her ankles rather achy and swollen when she insisted on walking all day. She felt she didn't have the luxury of relaxing at home, she needed to hunt for herself and work at the communal herb garden to stay useful, regardless of how her body protested. She had to admit, though, it was hard to say no to an evening like this, reclining peacefully with the promise of a full stomach for once. "You boys have such a lovely place," she said with a smile, gazing around her at the wide-open house with its amenities. She suspected Ezra made the furniture himself, and was impressed with his knack for woodworking. "You're really lucky," she added more softly, echoing the sentiment she had expressed in the late springtime when they spoke atop the hills. They made it look so easy, these two.

Eli was perched on the far corner of the couch, which seemed to be his usual spot judging by the well-chewed stockpile of bones. Coli's gaze lingered on his smiling face, beaming happiness rivaled only by his wagging tail. He was adorable, and she found herself wanting to take care of him in that inexplicably maternal way she felt towards youngsters. "It's good to see you too, sweetie. You'll have to show me your garden sometime, I'd love to see," she said earnestly, genuinely interested. She had been too distraught to pay heed to her surroundings when she arrived at their doorstep, and it was getting dark out anyway. "Do you have a raspberry bush? I have a little one at my place, I can give you a cutting," she offered. It was a little late in the season, but the shrubs were hardy and would be back for the next year. She was always happy to share her plants with others who were interested.

Table by Sace!

[/html]

Messages In This Thread