[m] [p] our guilt, our blame, our blood, our fault
[html]

Part of her wanted to continue, onward to the wolf that had found her days ago, onward to the latest assault and the latest death and the blood that was on her still. Part of her wanted to tell more of the story wherein her beautiful horse dies. Part of her wanted to gut herself further and lay out all the rest of the awful tales for her sister to see. She could not think of what they were though, just then. She could not remember what else had happened and when, or the details of any story. Jerome's beautiful voice whispered in her ear, or perhaps it was Myrika, or her father, but she could not make out the words. She was tired and felt as if she had been running a long time. Her breathing was laboured still, but gradually she quieted, and it was no longer a rattling gasp.

The thin, colorless hybrid had not closed her eyes (memories came more easily in the dark), but slowly, she became aware of the room again: the rough brick walls and the small cookfire and the old desk and the hand brushing away her tangled hair. And Cassandra was ashamed for her outburst, or whatever it had been, for her great displays of weakness; twice already she had let the twisted knot in her chest choke her reason and her pride and spout words and noises and garbled nonsense she would not otherwise have voiced. Her sister had watched over her when they were children; Cassandra had never been able to do much for her, and for all that had happened, it seemed things had not changed so much in their relationship.

She lifted a hand to grasp Myrika's and whined softly, apologetically now. "I'm sorry... for being a burden," she mumbled. "Thank you..." And with great effort, she smiled, looking sideways at her sister from where she lay on the bed. She tried to give a small laugh too, though it turned into a cough. "You don't... you don't need to worry about protecting me though..." She breathed in a long, slow breath. The knotted weight remained in her lungs, but it was not unbearable anymore. "I'll kill them... myself. And anyone who hurts you, too." Exhale. She looked away again. "I'll kill them all." And she would, as she had so many others already.

[/html]

Messages In This Thread