delight
Deuce closed her eyes, still unaware of the former packmate hiding and watching. She opened her eyes and bent her wrist, watching her foot dip in the water, then rise again. She let out another slow, soft sigh. Words bubbled in her mind, and she spoke. She did that a lot, talking to herself when she was alone. "Oh, Soran... why did you leave me? Wasn't my honest promise of forever enough for you?" She pulled to her feet, beginning to pace as hurt rushed away on the tide of emotion, being replaced by the empty anger again.

"Damnit, I didn't do anything wrong! I loved you, Soran. I took care of Noah, of the pack you helped found. If your family had come with, they would have been loved just as much and just as strongly. You knew that about me, you knew I loved everything you loved, Soran. How could you just walk away from me?!"

The anger ebbed away again, leaving her tired and numb. Her tirade had lasted only a few minutes. She sank back into the position she'd laid in before, her toes sitting in the water. She closed her eyes, letting the words to a soft, mournful song come to her lips.

"Oh, Danny boy, the pipes, the pipes are calling
From glen to glen, and down the mountain side
The summer's gone, and all the flow'rs are dying
'Tis you, 'tis you must go and I must bide.

But come ye back when summer's in the meadow
Or when the valley's hushed and white with snow
'Tis I'll be here in sunshine or in shadow
Oh, Danny boy, oh, Danny boy, I love you so.

And if you come, and all the flowers are dying
If I am dead, as dead I well may be
I pray you'll find the place where I am lying
And kneel and say an "Ave" there for me....."

She knew the last verse, the verse about the grave being sweeter and warmer because the beloved returns to warm it with words of love. She couldn't sing it. Instead, she fell silent, her soft notes in her gentle Irish tinged lilt dying away.

Messages In This Thread