[j] the nightingale’s her troubadour
[html]

Haha, I love this!

Word Count → 559

Saul described the little batch of Stormbringers and others that had made up the core of Vinátta, and Shiloh smiled at the familiar names. This was what she’d wanted to find when she came to Nova Scotia: family and family she knew well, family she could warn and family she could protect. It wasn’t quite a surprise that their aunt Miskunn had turned up, too, and she almost chuckled until the timber male spoke of Gideon and his companion joining—then leaving.

The young woman’s brow pinched at this piece of news, but she wiped the emotion off her face immediately, her blue eyes dropping to the grass under their feet. She knew that Gideon was flighty—they all were flighty, to a point—but why would Giddy leave so soon after reuniting with his family? Did he have some other business, a lead to the Dawnrunners? If he did, it didn’t seem like he’d told Saul about it at all. She shook her head and pushed her fair hair out of her face, a gesture to keep her hands busy as she fretted.

“I—I didn’t know,” Shiloh murmured. “I thought he’d—I thought he’d come here, and I’d follow him just like when we came to Dahlia, and… I don’t know why he’d just leave.” It was hard not to get upset about this, but she managed to make it look like she wasn’t upset. Or, well, she tried. It was probably blatantly obvious to her brother, but she wasn’t going to kill her dignity by wringing her hands and whimpering at the borders to his pack.

The change in topic, at least, gave her something else to mull over. She saw that she’d made Saul nervous, or awkward, or something, but he didn’t bother her about it and only confirmed that this Lilin was, indeed, special. Having never fallen in love with anyone (a puppy-crush back home notwithstanding), Shiloh could only imagine what he was feeling—and a strong feeling it had to be, for him to ignore the crux of the issue. Was it even an issue? She wasn’t sure, but it all reminded her of dirt, and although she’d gotten as good at ignoring dirt as anything else, it didn’t make her feel less icky underneath.

And Saul grimaced, and Shiloh braced herself for the news to come because, hey, might as well get it all out in the open, right? Her eyes widened as he spoke of his son Temeraire, and she didn’t even bother to keep the shock off her face this time. There were many questions she could ask—was he the product of an old mateship, or a bastard?—but none of them were polite. And she had to strive for politeness, whatever was going on.

“I see,” Shiloh said, even if she didn’t see. “Well, I’ll—I’ll have to meet him too. You’ve told him about me, right?” She tried to smile playfully and succeeded. “But … I won’t ask for you to tell me any more. It’s not quite the conversation to have while I’m standing on the borders of your new pack,” she hinted, twirling a lock of hair around a slim finger and glancing deviously at him. “Unless you expect me to just off and leave, your poor fragile sister cast out into the wilderness again.”

<style>
.shihorizon .ooc {font-style:italic; font-size:11px;}
.shihorizon p {padding:2px 0px; margin:0px; text-indent:35px;}
.shihorizon b {color:#B8444D; letter-spacing:-.2px;}
.shihorizon {background-color:#FDE2D0; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/rJLik.png); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#473F3B; line-height:16px; width:500px; text-align:justify; margin:0px auto; outline:1px solid #000000; border:1px solid #fff;}
.shihorizon .inner {margin:0px 10px 120px 10px; padding:10px; background-image:url(http://soulsrpg.com/images/pride/templa ... ate_bg.png); border-size:1px; border-width:1px; border-style: none dotted dotted dotted; border-color:#473F3B;}
.shihorizon .wordcount {letter-spacing:0px; font-size:11px; font-weight:bold; border-top:1px dotted #B8444D; text-align:right; padding:0px 5px; text-transform:uppercase; margin:1px 2px 15px;}
</style>
[/html]

Messages In This Thread