cut out all the ropes and let me fall
[html]

One was his son and one could have been his half-brother in another life. Except he didn’t know Conri by name and the two existed on strange, different planes. Ahren didn’t hear voices and he certainly knew what he was doing (most of the time). He never split apart (though again, he could not explain those black spots) and he never let strangers see him fall apart at the seams. Ahren had never taken his fury out on stuffed animals (he didn’t need to, oh no, there were too many strangers in the world) and he had never done anything as foolish as lose an arm.
     Gabriel, on the other hand, was his father’s son. He was his mother’s son too. He was both of them and God’s hellfire and wrath all mixed up in one. “Get me my knife,” he said lowly, eyes burning in the dark. Ahren must have looked mad, hair hanging in his face and body covered in dust. “Get me my knife and open the door,” he said again, nearly crooning. Leaning forward, Ahren’s hands hit the ground and he was on his knees, head low. “Just let me out. I can’t leave them alone, baby, I just can’t. Those men are going to come back and I can’t let him try and take you away again. The others got your brothers, but not you…” One hand reached forward, and he touched her cheek gingerly. “No one is going to hurt my family anymore.”

[/html]

Messages In This Thread