One road leads to another
River held still while the male wolf circled her, tested her smell, got to know what the female in front of him was. The muscles in her legs rippled as she crouched there, readying themselves in case she needed to run, or strike. The movement caused the black and tan fur to dance in the sunlight. But X'ies soon came round to where she could directly see him and paused there. The muscles that were quivering stopped, and now simple caution was her only hesitation. No matter how much her kind had evolved and changed in the last few decades, they were still creatures born of the wild earth. Their blood still sang with the species that had survived millennium by being one with nature. Not just that but her father's people had stayed very tied to their natural ways, even after the change. So River had inherited much of the instincts of her ancient kind.
His own wolf smell was still polite, clean. He smelled of fur, wildness, and male. When X'ies bowed his head in return River's lips twitched a little in a smile. It was nice to see politeness echoed back. For the last few months she had encountered very little of it.
As he spoke River listened to each word. Was this place seldom filled with others? she wondered. Her green crystalline eyes followed his look back to his home. Of course she didn't know it was his home, so she was curious as to why he looked that direction after he spoke. The female wolfdog shifted slightly, putting her weight back onto her legs so she could rest one hand on the ground.
Once X'ies had finished speaking River nodded.

Pleasure to meet you as well X'ies. It's good to know I still have a friendly face after all my travels. River smiled, letting X'ies know it was a joke. I am new to these parts, so I do not know where to go to meet others. I'm assuming there are pack lands and common lands, yes? Is this place a common land? She was hoping she wasn't intruding on pack territory just yet. She first wanted to get a feel of the type of beings here, and of their societal build. Many questions came to the forefront of her mind but she pushed them down, not wanting to overwhelm X'ies with inquiries.
The last question the male posed left her silent for a moment. Once again, instinctive caution filled her body, leaving her thoughtful and wary. Her green eyes narrowed slightly, bringing more of her long face into darkened fur. But of course it was only natural of the male wolf to ask. So River shook her head and collected herself. A polite expression took over her face.

It was... interesting. My travels were safe for the most part. But I have been traveling many months, and so I have witnessed much in that time. What she said was true. And it was also the very diluted version of the truth.
Unwilling to as of yet give out all of her deep held secrets, River shut down any emotions that were rising to the surface and focused only on this kind stranger who had come to welcome her to a new land.

Messages In This Thread