i know i miss more than hit
[html]

When the cobra runs for her life, she goes like a whip-lash flicked across a horse's neck.

Word Count - 423

The big white dog took the arrow, and Skoll nodded quickly to acknowledge his thanks before standing back and watching the man curiously. He was always very curious about newcomers, but the childish interest of his younger days had given way to a more critical scrutiny recently. After all, each new member was supposed to contribute to the wellbeing of the Court through whatever ways their skills permitted—and most of the reason Skoll had been so eager to invite Jimson was for the skill with the staff he’d been wielding. The courtiers were important in times of peace, but the cavalry was arguably more important in these dark days.

The other explained his preference of the “big stick” over the bow, and Skoll had to smile in agreement. “Projectile weapons are too complicated,” he remarked with a disdainful glance toward the quiver. He enjoyed seeing them taking down birds on the ring or going through rabbits, but he wasn’t so sure they’d even do much to a full-grown Luperci—or, at least, not the Great Pyrenees with his huge build and thick fur. He doubted they’d do more than irritate him. Shaking his head, he went on, “I like fighting just with teeth and claws, myself. Easier than handling a weapon, even if you have to really throw yourself into the thick of it.” He didn’t seem all too regretful about this last fact; the touch of eagerness gave away that he wasn’t necessarily a veteran of many battles.

That said, there was a shine in the youth’s eyes as the newcomer’s weapon was offered to him. He grabbed the staff, feeling the weight of it and wondering how he’d be able to even lift it; he’d inherited a fairly large build from his parents, but he wasn’t the mass of muscle he could have been, tuned more toward endurance and a balance of speed and strength. He was still even a foot shorter than the massive dog, anyway, who could fling this thing around like a pretend sword if he wanted to.

“I can try,” Skoll replied, and grinned sheepishly. “You might want to stand back, though,” he warned, before hoisting the staff and lunging for the dummy. The huge thing whammed down against its head, but the follow-through had the boy losing balance and crashing into his intended target as the staff fell from his grasp. A yelp left him before he grabbed for it again, though this time the loss of balance prevented him from even taking another swing.

Rikki-tikki knew that he must catch her, or all the trouble would begin again.
<style>
.skolltikki-a05 {margin:0 auto; width:500px; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/rRYCg.png); background-position:bottom right; background-repeat:no-repeat; padding: 0px 0px 0px 0px; font-family:garamond, serif; font-size:14px; letter-spacing:1px; line-height:16px; text-align:justify;}
.skolltikki-a05 .ooc {font-family:verdana; font-size:10px; text-align:center; text-indent:0px; padding:0px 5px; width:490px; letter-spacing:1px;}
.skolltikki-a05 .wc {text-transform: uppercase; font-weight:bold;}
.skolltikki-a05 p {text-indent: 25px; margin:0px; padding:5px 5px;}
.skolltikkiname1 {font-size:20px; font-family: 'Mate SC'; text-align:left; padding:20px; text-shadow:#000000 1px 1px 1px;}
.skolltikkiname2 {font-size:20px; font-family: 'Mate SC'; text-align:right; padding:20px; text-shadow:#000000 1px 1px 1px;}
</style>

[/html]

Messages In This Thread