[p] i drink to death and smack my lips with song
((I would've replied earlier, but it turns out my internet turns off at midnight and I don't know why D:<))

Oh, the wolfdog had gone quiet. Had Null said something wrong? Had she touched on a nerve? Why would anyone be unwilling to discuss their pack, she wondered-- unless there was a rule in her pack not to talk about it? Or maybe Null was suspected of being a spy. Perhaps the other canine's pack wasn't very nice or stable right now and it was an emotionally sensitive subject. Those were the only reasons Null could think of, and she was about to say that the other female didn't have to talk about it if she didn't want to, when she did.

The large females words made her ears drop and her tail droop. "One must be very strong"-- it was like being around her brothers again, always teasing her for her size. She was immediately defensive if ever it was implied that she was somehow less capable than larger canines, even if it was occasionally true. She had outlived three of her larger brothers, her stronger brothers, and she'd be damned if she just fell over and accepted that she was 'weak' now. She held herself at her full-- and still unimpressive-- height.

I-- I can do plenty! Sure, I'm not good at-- at-- at heavy liftin' or nuffin', an' I don't think I've ever intim'dated anyone in my life, but I'm good at other stuff! I can-- I can track stuff! And I can sneak! I can make traps! And, I dunno, does anyone value readin'? I do that. She wilted a little, flopping her thin, barely-muscled arms as though to say "yeah, I know I'm tiny and frail". You hafta learn to be good at other things than fightin' an' big stuff when you're the littlest. And nobody ever thinks you can do anythin'. I mean, you're all giant an' stuff, I bet everyone assumes you can do loads o' things, but when you're the runt... No-one gives you a chance.

Null stared at a fixed spot on the ground, ears tilted back. Her littleness had always been a sore spot for her. When your size causes your mother to name you 'Nothing' it's bound to leave some emotional scars, and it had made Null bitter, a little bit arrogant, and determined to prove that she was valuable, that she wasn't nothing.

Messages In This Thread