Burn our hopes, scorch our dreams.
Fire flinched back slightly as a wolf yelled at her, but she was half way though. Her muscles contracted ready for a hit as she finished. Looking up she froze realizing the "alpha female" was speaking to her. It took a moment for her words to register. She bowed her head ears flat not only from the strong winds. "Where I come from huge funnels of wind and dust spin and touch the ground. Since we rarely get rain; my old pack learned to dig the fires into a hollow.. When the twisting winds came the fire wouldn't be blown out. " she said the words calmly and slow hoping her pounding heart couldn't be heard. "I was trying to bide us some time to gather the coals before the rain. If we aren't clear from here by then..." She closed her eyes before looking at the pale flames, " if we don't have enough coals saved by then." She paused again her gruff voice holding a whine. She believed strongly that her place depended on this fire. Holding back her tears she whispered what everyone knew. " then the fire will be lost."

Her mind flashed back to family's banishment. Some had called for her death and worse, but her mother had stood strong. Her father was ill already, and was sleeping. Suddenly her mind jerked to the present a pain stricken look on her face. Could it be her fault her family died? Because, she chose to use fire? She blinked trying to follow what was said, and not her internal turmoil.

Messages In This Thread