Scouting for Sustenance
[html]

Word Count :: 570

OOC :: --

"Sira?" Lyris did not glance back at the Luperci, instead she plundered forward, narrowing her eyes to deep green chips of ice. Only half her mind was on the conversation at hand. The rest of her physique spoke hunt. Narrow jaws parted and large, papery ears pricked forward, she was trying her best to snuff out all traces of prey. She could almost forget her uncomfortably wet fur and cold skin. If she could just find a single rabbit...

"...I met her at the border, before I was... a pack member." She hesitated, before flicking her feathery tail tip and continuing forward. She didn't feel awkward taking Sira's place- only slightly curious. "I doubt that I can be considered stronger than any in this pack. I am just young and... weak." Her words rang true. She was little more than passable. Her skill set was small, though she knew that she could grow it easily through experience. She could grow to be valuable. She knew she could, and would.

As X'ies moved closer, she only moved that much farther, not really comprehending exactly what he was trying to do. She had heard that this particular male was manipulative. Though she had to learn to trust her pack mates. That didn't mean she couldn't be a bit wary, though, right?"Yes, X'ies." She agreed with his words, giving him a swift glance through the curtain of rain. It lasted but a moment before she was back on track. Hunting. Rations. Gotta find rations. Lyris scanned the undergrowth with utmost precision, not leaving a single blade of grass unseen or a single autumn leaf ignored. She was a living, breathing tracking machine. Though most adults could probably do better than she, she was somewhat advanced for her age.

Snap! She stopped dead cold, paws kicking up mini waves of mud as she skidded and twisted, tail cracking through the air as a whip as she honed in. A small creature, probably a young rabbit, was snuffling around next to a thick pine trunk, searching for any preserved grass or food source it could find. What it was doing out in the torrential rain was a mystery to her. All she knew it that it was food.

Lyris hoped X'ies saw it too and would keep quiet, though he probably would, for he was most likely a more skilled hunter than she. But Lyris wanted this catch. She wanted to show him that she was worth something. Slender belly lowered and joints bent as the alabaster canine lowered her body into the expert hunter's crouch. Right now, downwind didn't matter, for her scent would most likely be masked by the veil of moisture plummeting from the sky.

Then she moved. Closer, closer, with infinite patience. She moved at a snail's pace. Too long and it would notice her, too soon it would flee. Muscles pulled taut and tail stilled, hovering over the ground like a drunken bumblebee. Evergreen eyes watched, never leaving the soft gray fur of the soon-to-be dead mammal.

Now! In a strike as quick and flawless as an adder, in a blurr of off-white fur and flash of green eyes, it was over. The plump young thing swung limply from slender jaws, cottonball tail dripping with liquid. She turned back to X'ies, shoulders hunched and neck lowered. Only the soft drip-drip-drip of water cascading from the dying leaves could be heard.

<style type="text/css">
.character-lyrisstpersent b {font-weight:bold; color:#DADADA; letter-spacing:1px; }
.character-lyrisstpersent .ooc {font-style:italic; padding:0px; font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:11px;}
.character-lyrisstpersent p {text-indent:25px; padding:5px 10px; margin:0px;}
.character-lyrisstpersent {margin:0px auto; width:466px; background-color:#4f6a95; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/1XUHF.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #000000; padding: 320px 5px 10px 5px; font-family: georgia, sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#000000; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>
[/html]

Messages In This Thread