hiding under the covers
[html]
648 words. I'll post once more here when the door is answered and then Nier will be shooting off to the stables. Have fun with Grace and all the animals, feel free to PP her as much as ya like. Smile

The rumbling of the storm had been audible for days and he had been aware of the impending squall. Grace had helped him to shore up the house as much as they could, fixing the door and the window frames so that they were watertight. He was proud of their work and was happy that their home would pull through this storm with little damage, but when the rain came and Thor set the thunder and lightening rumbling across the sky a niggle of doubt wormed into the back of his mind. To be honest, a million thoughts were racing through his mind; he had to take care of Grace and the animals, he had to look after Darcy and check on the stables, he wanted to check on his fellow packmates. He felt, as a pack wolf, that it was his duty to look after the others, but it wasn't a burden, he was pleased that he cared for them all so much. So he found himself dithering at the door, handpaw on the doorknob, his satchel full of carpentry tools slung over his shoulder, his cerulean eyes resting on Grace.

It was Sauls howl that cemented his resolve, Grace's ears perked up too, the creamy pinna swivelling to catch the message. She raised ocean eyes to his and saw the determination there, "No Niernan! I am not going to sit in Saul and Lilin's house with all the other women and puppies. Can you think of what a disaster that would be?" Her voice was firm and Nier felt a fire of resistance flare in his gut. He removed his handpaw from the door and marched over to her, taking her handpaws in his and staring directly into her eyes, Think about what a disaster it would be for me if something happened here while I'm out at the stables, and you got hurt. You'll be safer with the others, so will the menagerie. You have to go, for me. His voice was firm but gentle, with a devastating hint of emotion, the prospect of losing her causing a hitch in his voice. She seemed to realise how strongly he felt about this and she was taken aback by his fervour, so she nodded slowly. His eyes widened slightly and he was amazed that she had conceded so easily. He released her handpaws and made busy gathering the animals together. Ciaran was coming with him to the stables, the cat scaling the wolfs body to wrap around his neck. Nier bundled the quolls and Leo into the hammock that they all slept in, tucking Turnip and Jason into his satchel.

He made sure to close the door tightly before they set off, the wind howling derisively as they set out. Grace's dreadlocks were whipped by the dirge, she kept one handpaw tightly held in his while her free paw shot up to her hair, holding it down as best she could. Nier cursed the house and the fenced gardens that stood in the way of the most direct path to the Virding's house. They half jogged around the point made by Brans house, cutting through the thin stand of trees. The rain had made the ground treacherous and Nier kept flicking his eyes to the slick mud, avoiding the worst patches. The windows of Sauls house glowed warmly and he could see shadows moving inside. It was then that he noticed the figures stood outside the door, another male and female pairing, one monstrously large and brown furred, the other more delicate and black furred. He shouted a greeting, his voice elevated to be heard over the roaring winds. Hey there! seeking shelter too? It seemed the pair had already knocked on the door and he happily waited for somebody to answer, sheltering Grace and the animals from the wind and the rain as much as he could.

<style type="text/css">
.nscross b {font-weight:bold; color:#2a5c9b; letter-spacing:1px; text-shadow: 0.1em 0.1em 0.2em #a3b9d1; }
.nscross p {text-indent:0px; padding:5px 16px; margin:0px;}
.nscross {margin:0 auto; width:490px; background-color:#ffffff; background-image:url(http://i910.photobucket.com/albums/ac30 ... 266e17.jpg); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #2a5c9b; padding: 440px 0px 7px 0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#000000; text-shadow: 0.1em 0.1em 0.2em #; letter-spacing:.6px; word-spacing:.9x; line-height:13.3px; text-align:justify;}
.nscross p b:before { content: open-quote; }
.nscross p b:after {content: close-quote; }
</style>
[/html]

Messages In This Thread