Give me miles & mountains to climb
[html]

For the sake of convenience, I went with four of the listed communal horses. Wink Poke me to change anything!

Word Count → 441

The Marshal took charge, and both males were quick to comply with his orders. Hati ducked into the building, pale eyes scanning what he could see through the shadows. The rising panic was making it impossible to concentrate. He wrung his wrists, fidgeting as his eyes tracked wildly through the obfuscated stables. Their herd was riled up, whinnies and stomping clearly carrying over the sounds of wind and rain. Some of the animals were kicking at their doors, attempting to flee the storm. It wasn't until he realized how spooked many of the horses were by the weather that he was able to calm himself; they needed him to help them relax, not whip them up into a stampede. He bit his tongue, moving from stall to stall to touch each horse reassuringly, and take attendance. There was Hwin, Archer, Heritage, and so on... the familiar faces bringing him relief, as they all appeared to be uninjured.

A knot twisted in his stomach as he drew closer to the open wall, cold puddles of rainwater splashing beneath his steps. He counted five empty stalls that should not be empty -- wait, four, the fifth stall held the undersized pinto Rue he did not notice at first. The docile Jolie was one of the missing, though, and he was trying to remember who the other three were specifically, since they were part of the unnamed and unbroken herd. It could be trouble recapturing them, since they used to be wild. At least they were of hardy stock and could take care of themselves, or so he could hope. They needed to round them up as quickly as possible. Hati was about to dash back into the storm to inform Alder, when a sick sense of dread washed over him. "Asagi," he exhaled weakly, turning slowly to scan the stables again and confirming what he already knew. His mother's horse was gone.

The barricade was completed when Hati came dashing up, dark mane plastered wetly over his face. His hands were trembling, and it was a struggle to keep his voice flat. "I counted five gone," he called urgently over the wind. He couldn't look Alder in the eyes, and looked instead to his packmate with the ropes, readying him for their next task. This was a nightmare. "Jolie, the old grey stallion, the appaloosa and the pinto mares, and - and Asagi," he elaborated, voice cracking with emotion. If anything happened to that horse... He finally raised his gaze, staring helplessly at Alder. They would be able to find them, wouldn't they?

<style>
.hati {background-image:url(http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p292 ... ntable.png); background-repeat:no-repeat; background-position:top center; background-color:#9B8C7B; width:400px; margin:0px auto; text-align: justify; padding:270px 0px 5px 0px; color:#000000; font-family:georgia, serif; font-size:12px; line-height:16px; border:2px solid #FFFFFF;}
.hati b {color:#FFFFFF;}
.hati p { text-indent:0px; padding:5px 15px; margin:0px; }
.hati p.ooc {font-style:italic;}
.hati .wordcount {letter-spacing:0px;font-weight:bold; border-top:1px dotted #FFFFFF; text-align:right; padding:0px 5px; text-transform:uppercase; margin:0px 15px 15px 15px;}

</style>
CSS inspired by Cait and Raze! Stock photo credit: slime-stock@dA

[/html]

Messages In This Thread