Mind & Body
OOC: Speech in italics = the dead ancestor.

Everly Skyfall's dark paws scuffed against the rough texture of the rocks she was traversing. The feeling wasn't unpleasant, but the woman, currently in Secui form, showed to no pleasure in her features. It had taken just over two days to complete this journey, miles and miles from AniWaya, but she didn't need to wonder what had brought her so far from her new home; she was fairly sure she could still feel the presence of her deceased relative, who seemed to be more of an annoyance than a guide. Everly was reluctant to block out the messages being conveyed entirely, but she was still faintly suspicious that she might have embarked on a wild goose chase – except those on wild goose chases generally had a specific goal in mind. All Everly had to go on was the sharp scent of seawater and a faded melody of waves colliding with rocks, heard for a second or two as the neutral-toned wolf had balanced on a branch, eyeing up a fat squirrel.

“Girl, you can't ignore me forever and you know it,” the gruff voice had chastised. “You're here for a reason. Healing's all fine and dandy, girl, but you know the real reason you're here.” “I know I'm being harassed by a dead relative who talks about reasons but doesn't seem to give any clues,” Ev had responded irritably, made more irritable by the fact that she'd responded at all. “Think for yourself, girl,” the spirit breathed, and the tang of sea air rushed towards the reluctant seer, deep in AniWayan territory with no salt water anywhere near her. “You'll find what you're looking for.” The faintest picture of another relative from what felt like another life, a brother, cherished but long lost: laughing, happy, full of life. Everly's hackles rose. But eventually so did the rest of her.

Two days later and Everly was high above a rolling ocean, breathing in the exact scent which had assailed her back in AniWaya. This was the place, she felt, or thought she felt, but it wasn't until another scent met her nostrils that the lines in her brow smoothed out, her ears pricking in curiousity. She couldn't place the scent – and when the mottled figure came into view she couldn't place his appearance either. Ev hesitated; this wolf looked handy with a staff, potentially deadly, and Everly had no weapons, no line of defense except her nimble paws and speed. Her legs were tensed as she watched the flowing movements, but she didn't allow herself to get lost in the dance. “An old man?” she muttered to the spirit, but the voice seemed to have decided now was a good time to clam up.

Everly took a step forward without meaning to, calling over the rush of the waves against the cliffs below. “I don't know you.” It was a ridiculous thing to say and to prevent further idiocy Everly's mouth closed into a firm line. She hadn't even known she'd had any expectations until that moment, but she distinctly felt the emptiness which meant they'd been dashed.

(517 words)

Messages In This Thread