Mind & Body
It was peculiar how the very same elements – wind and water – could produce such different effects. Back in the haven of AniWaya the hurricane had been merciful to Everly but ruthless to others in the tribe. Every thunder crack had been the gnashing of some colossal beast's teeth; every gust of wind had been aiming to knock someone off their feet. Up on the cliff the breeze was more mischeivous than spiteful and the sea spray could barely touch. The waves were playing some sort of game with the rocks, the salty breeze was trying to lure Everly's hair into a dance, but Everly herself didn't join in.

The woman's arms crossed defensively, hopefully covering a twinge of guilt as well as her chest. “I've found that the wisdom of family can't always be counted on – but yes, they did.” While the large male's voice was almost without tone, Everly's seemed to be steadily infused with more emotion. “They also taught me how to watch them die, so I think it's quite unlikely that they'll be telling me off.” Her head gave a quick bob. “Even so, I apologise for startling you and forgetting my manners.”

The cliff top was cool but a shot of unfathomable warmth rushed through Everly when she looked past the greying mane and muzzle to the man's eyes, like polished gold. Her shoulders stiffened as she remembered how she'd ended up so far from her new home, stood above the water with a stranger who didn't seem quite as strange as a true stranger should. She shrugged it off – literally – and chose to divulge only part of her story. “I was sent here. I was supposed to find something.” If only Everly could work out what that thing was.

(303 words)

Messages In This Thread