Mind & Body
Their gaze had only been brief, but Einarr knew he had stopped breathing while their eyes locked. Doing his best not to look away, and reveal how her lemon coloured eyes had unnerved him, he looked down. He could not stay here, she had not recognised him yet, but she was no fool, and it was only fortune, good or ill, that had stopped her from recognising him so far. It had been such a long time though, and he had spent so many nights dreaming about his family, but what could he offer her now, there was no love left in him, just blood and darkness, and how he must look. Shame filled him again, and he hated himself, and for a moment her, for making him feel like such a fool. So many years of training to deal with the flood of emotions, and it threatened to all be for naught if he lingered here. His arm came up, and for a horrifying moment he thought he might touch her, but instead he banged the staff upon the ground, pretending to haul himself upright.

”We all die.”

He said somewhat unsympathetically.

”A teacher of mine told me once, we are born alone and we die the same way.”

He moved to get passed her, it brought them tantalisingly close, and a part of him begged him to throw his arms around her and never to let her go, but he was far too disciplined for such an egregious show of love.

”There is no need to apologise, I should not have been so focused, and I hope that you find what you are searching for.”

With those words he was passed her and standing on her other side, his escape route clear.

”I must return to my pack, it was a pleasure meeting you.”

The tone was neutral and even, the words carefully chosen, she would never know how much of a painful pleasure it had been.

Messages In This Thread