The Sound of a Heartbeat
[html]
Word Count: 561

The air swirled carelessly around the pair of contrasting canines, playing quietly with the autumn leaves. Even as they stood there, a few of the leaves lost their grip and fell softly towards the ground, floating and diving as they caught the air before settling among their fallen comrades. One of these particular leaves landed only a foot away from the paler of the two wolves and for a moment his eyes skipped over to it traveling over it’s reddish surface, but already the leaf had begun to turn brown. His eyes quickly fell back over in front of the she-wolf as she begun responding to his words. Her voice was like before, soft, but this time a slight sound of amusement escaped her lips as she began her explanation. A slight smile spread across his lips, though with his slouched posture he doubted that she would notice it. He had been trying to break this habit of referring to females as madam since he had picked it up from the medic back near his home, but after a month or two he had given up. He himself found it amusing and often times he didn’t even notice his use of it as it passed right over his conscious into the air.

With her first statement still hanging in the air, he repeated her name silently to himself. He had always been good at remembering names, so he by no doubt would remember it. Still, one couldn’t be safe enough. Everly. It rolled easily throughout his mind, almost like a song played by one of the many birds in the forest as the sun began to rise. It was unlike most names he was accustomed to, however. Where he came from most names were short, he usually being to odd ball, and names ending in –ly were few and far between. Still, he took a quiet liking to the name probably because it was different and he was get bored with normal. “Don’t worry about it. I find it amusing myself” He said wishing that he could raise his eyes to meet hers, but he knew that it was not worth being turned away, “You may call me Raphael.” He subconsciously left off his last name, and either didn’t notice it’s exemption or ignored it.

Once again the breeze swirled through the trees just as softly as it had before, ruffling his hair off to one side and causing a few pieces of hair to gracefully fall in front of his vision. The darker wolfs hair must of gotten swept by the wind too for he sensed a small, innocent motion in her arm before it once again settled into it’s original position. He also brought his hand up to his face and sweeping it gently back over to it’s correct place. “I have skills with a knife, but I prefer hand to hand combat more. Besides that, I can heal and have training as a medic. I have knowledge to grow my own herbs and such, but I do not know how any of them would fair in the weather here” finishing up explaining everything he counted as a skill he let his eyes wander quietly over the land she had gestured towards, though the only things he could see were the thinly placed trees and the brightly colored leaves.

[/html]

Messages In This Thread