Ace of Cups
[html]

wc: 631

Cosette smiled approvingly as the stranger accepted her small hand. She discretely inspected the coyote's scent as she was speaking -- she didn't detect any food or supplies underneath the cloak, and it was clear this canine had been traveling, as there were quite a few distinct odors in the fabric and her fur. If she wasn't a pack member herself, the coyote had recently visited a pack of some sort, or so it seemed. Interesting. Clopin remained impassive, but Cosette nearly laughed aloud at the palm reading -- not that it was at all unconvincing, she really did a decent job, but because it sounded like another challenge; the coyote was brazen to tell her she would not receive payment. Her dark eyes sparkled with mirth, and she nodded, bells jingling. "That seems quite fitting, though I must hope Lady Luck does not desert us so soon! Have we reached a difficult territory?"

The question was an innocent probe for information, and as she waited for a response, Cosette turned her back and waltzed to Clopin's side to snag the first two cards from the top of the deck. Most of the cards had simple paintings of humans on them -- built like an Optime Luperci, sometimes heavily clothed and sometimes nude, but always without fur or claws or any distinguishable markings. They were interesting to look at, relics from a different age, and when Cosette had been first learning to use them, she had read that they had a history spanning more generations than she could fathom. It was fun to show them off, but she did have to be careful not to lose them; goodness only knew where she could find a replacement deck here in the frozen north. She'd probably have to draw them herself.

"With these two cards I can tell you what I know of you. I see... Justice, and the Magician," she said, holding the two cards up for inspection. The Justice figure wore a red robe and held a sword and measuring scales, and the Magician held a candle lit from both ends and wore a belt of a snake eating its own tail. This was too easy, two Major Arcana! She had memorized their associations and symbolism first, since they were often more important to a reading. "These are both powerful cards, milady, you must be someone of importance. Justice speaks of balance, cause and effect, a double-edged sword. The actions of your past reflect in your future, for better or worse. And the Magician speaks of power, confidence, transformation. Life is under your control, and only you can transform your failures into successes."

Cosette paused for dramatic effect, dark eyes inscrutable. Now, the trick was to use the vague definitions of each card and combine them with the knowledge she had of the subject so far. The coyote seemed to value control: wanting to steer their transaction in her favor, as well as remaining in the shadows to make the dogs come to her, and not volunteering her name. She would identify well with both cards. "I would say... you are always very conscious of your actions, deliberately choosing those to best benefit you. You are confident in your judgment and skills, enough to act alone. Power and control motivate you, milady." That seemed apt from what Cosette had gathered so far, best not to push it any further. She smiled primly, watching the expression in those pale eyes -- was she correct, or had she guessed too much? It was easy to lose someone at this stage, but Cosette was cocky in her charisma; most people were curious enough to stick around for the full reading.

"If you'd like to hear more, perhaps we can discuss an exchange of information...?"

[/html]

Messages In This Thread