[m] [ro] there’s a hate inside me
[html]

(870)

Skoll is by me!

The young man lowered his ears uncertainly as he walked through the empty streets of Halifax, sniffing the air. It had been some time since he had ventured into the city, and it only seemed all the more foreboding with time. Something sinister seemed to lurk behind every corner, a darker threat than the monsters his younger mind has created. In the southland, he could trust the surrounding packs -- almost -- to keep the monsters at bay. There were no such guardians in Halifax.

Skoll wasn't even sure what he was doing here, other than following some vain hope that he might find something worthwhile, whether a person or a thing. And he had to admit he appreciated the distance from the pack lands. Though he was recovering from the worst of his grief, the once outgoing boy had moments when he liked to go out alone.

He reached a small storefront after a fruitless search through a red sedan, freezing when he caught a strange scent coming through the cracked-open window. Scowling, he stepped over and stuck his muzzle through with a deep breath: a strange, heavy scent overlaying the reek of fear and blood.

Skoll drew back in shock then growled, trying to force it open. It was stuck fast.

Is someone in there? he barked though the crack. He thought he heard a whimper in answer, and redoubled his efforts with the window before circling around the brick building. The scent grew stronger, more potent with the accompaniment of horse dung. There were other traces of someone living here, but Skoll ignored these in favor of stepping into the dim room.

The reek of blood was overpowering, and he had to swallow a lump in his throat. That lump grew when he saw the body of a tabby-and-white cat strewn about the floor; he ended up pulling back and vomiting in a corner.

When he straightened, wiping his mouth, he locked eyes with a dog Luperci who'd pressed herself into a corner. Her knees were pressed together, and a tan hand encircled a bloodied throat. Her bright teal eyes were wide with fear.

It's okay, Skoll murmured, taking a small step toward her. Are you hurt? A stupid question, an obvious answer. Can I help?

The dog stiffened when he took another step. Don't y' come no closer, she warned in a tremulous voice. I'll kill you.

I don't want to hurt you, Skoll said softly. He came even closer, and she trembled but didn't make a move other than shifting back.

He suffocate' me 'til I passed out, the young woman, a little older than him, babbled. An' he...

It was then he noticed the blood dribbling down the inside of her leg. Oh, God, he managed, and felt like he was going to vomit again. A rage welled up in him, a sickness, and he turned his head quickly, his blond hair falling in his face. He was young, innocent in matters like this, but old enough to understand that the implications of the assault were far darker than he'd been used to. She was hurt, someone had hurt her, and it had greater consequences than simply a tooth-cut neck and a bruised shoulder.

We need to get you to a healer, Skoll stammered.

The floppy-eared dog's eyes widened again. Ain't nobody touchin' me there, she snarled, and he stepped back quickly, hands held up to appease her. An' I don't need no whelp like you playin' hero, y' know what I'm sayin'? Her voice was harsh, desperate, but as she continued to speak it fell into a steady buzz, her face slowly closing off its fear and becoming stony. He thinks I'm dead, she said, placing odd inflection on the last word. Don't want him comin' back.

Feeling like a young boy again, the Captain flattened his ears helplessly. Who did this to you?

Brown wolf, the girl said. Orange or yellow headband. Foot shorter 'n you. This last fact seemed to cause her distress, especially as Skoll could see she'd be even a few inches taller than her attacker. Her body was lithe but muscled, strong enough to indicate she'd been able to take care of herself pretty well even though he could discern no pack scent on her underneath the haze and blood-smell.

You'll...get infected, Skoll added after a moment, uncomfortable with the subject but not taking his eyes off hers now. He only averted them when her tan hand drifted down to between her legs, and when he looked back she was nodding tightly at him, biting her lip and crossing her arms tightly around herself. My brother's a medic, the courtier ventured, swallowing. Her eyes darkened for a brief moment, but with a glance down at the cat body she stepped away from her little corner and stared at him.

My name's Keziah, the tan-pointed Luperci said quietly. Take me to your pack -- but -- but you walk in front, y' know what I'm sayin'? Don't need no funny business from you.

Skoll nodded somberly and turned, with one last uncomfortable glance at the cat, and walked through the sinister city toward home with the girl in tow.

<style>
.skolEpic {font-family:georgia, serif; font-size: 12px; letter-spacing:0px; word-spacing:2px; text-align: left; margin:0px auto; width:95%;}
.skolEpic p {text-indent:50px; padding:0; margin:10px 0;}
.skolEpic p.image {text-align:center; float:right; margin:10px; text-indent:0; font-size:10px; font-style:italic;}
.skolEpic .txtooc {text-align:left; font-size:12px; font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif; text-transform:none; font-style:italic; font-weight:normal;}
.skolEpic .word {font-weight:bold; font-style:normal; letter-spacing:1.5px;}
.skolEpic b.npc { letter-spacing:.5px; font-style:italic; font-weight:normal; }
.skolEpic b:before {content:open-quote;}
.skolEpic b:after {content:close-quote;}
</style>[/html]

Messages In This Thread